Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water leaking into cylinder

Gents

Truckosaurus ( 1996 3rd Gen 3.0 ) is not in good health. Following the overheating episode last week, he's been into a garage this week. Diagnosis is that there is coolant getting into one or more of the cylinders. The mechanic wouldn't give a price to fix it, so I'm going in tomorrow to talk numbers. Top end rebuild ? Full rebuild ? Gasket kit ? He suggested the truck was essentially at the end of it's days.

So, could someone offer opinion on a ballpark figure on what I can expect the fix to cost ? I can go in forwarned.

Thanks in advance.

Also, if he is past economical repair, any advice on what to do with a full truck with a dead engine......

Cylinder head is cracked. You are looking at £1000 in parts alone. Its worth more in bits but it depends how much you like it.

Comment

Hi

Just doing my head now. Got varying prices on cyl heads. Remanufactured from £350 with cam in etc. to the prices that Roughtrax have for the complete kit.

I called one garage who would do the job for me and they quoted £1000 +vat and I was told that a new head would be fitted.

Depending on what the truck is like it's your call to rebuild or scrap depending on value.

If scrapping give me a shout, I may be interested dpending on condition.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks gents.

Truck isn't in that great nick. It was an in between purchase that I didn't get rid of and expected to run it until it died. I think that may just have happened.

TonyN gave it a post purchase once over when I bought it, so I've just pinged him to see if he can give me a price to do the work. He's only about 30 miles away from me.

Not sure if he's still active on here though.......

Comment

just sticking an oar in...

I had a similar problem.
          Luckily I have a mech that charges me mates rates and knows what he's doing.

Coolant level dropped causing chronic overheat.

Head was cracked so new head/cams for £750

Coolant level seemed ok but then dropped on first longer run. causing overheat. Limped home stopping constantly to top up coolant.

back to workshop to restrip engine.

Mech finally locates hairline crack in cylinder liner. Crack too small to allow coolant into cylinder, even at running temperature/pressure. Under engine load the cylinder pressure would force a tiny amount of combustion gas through and into coolant jacket.
          Magic sealant added to coolant to seal crack. But it only works momentarily.

Back to workshop to restrip engine.

Cylinder block out. Liners replaced. Engine rebuilt. Still good 2 years later.

My total bill £2500. However that was nowhere near what it should have cost.
          Fear of death is the beginning of slavery

Comment

Thanks Bear.

Comment

Going to sell it on and see if anyone is interested in fixing it up or parting it out. Shame, but I'm in the middle of house renovation and I don't have time or space to sort it myself.

Comment

Working...
              X