Knocking noise on turning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knocking noise on turning

Our Gen 3 has started making a knocking noise when steering is on full lock in one direction. Only gives one knock, not a continuous knocking noise. We replaced the drop links, lower ball joints and steering rack last year. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Stick grease on the steering stops and see if that helps?

Does for me...just done them today, too

Comment

I know this post is old but I have the same issue and wondered if the poster ever found the cause or if anyone else had any ideas what it might be?

Picked up the Surf yesterday and noticed the noise this morning when I did a full circle

Only does it when on full lock to the right and is an occasional bang - not knocking constantly while turning

Wondered if it might be related to anti roll bar?

Thanks
      Save earth...it's the only planet with chocolate

Comment

Check & lube the steering stops x4

robert

Comment

If greasing the stops doesnt cure it you may need to check the cv on that side. Mine started with a single knocking noise on full lock. Just got worse til I changed it.
          www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

I had a similar problem, full lock either left or right and it would knock knock knock, drove me crackers. Went to my Toyota garage and they sold me some covers that had worn on the steering stops, problem solved, happy days

Comment

Working...
            X