Rear spring change.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparkie67 View Post
    Had a go with plan C today....didn't work. Going for plan D. Booking into garage next week.
    Before you pay a fortune at the garage mate, I've got all the tools.
    What seems to be the problem?
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

If you jack up the rear and support with jackstands under the frame letting the axle droop, you can get a helper to step on the brake and lower that side of the axle more than enough to get the spring out and the new one in, then switch to the other side and do the same. You will need to disconnect the shocks and swaybar endlinks to do this, and keep an eye on the brake hose to make sure it doesn't get pulled on.

The fronts definitely require a heavy spring compressor, I just pulled the springs/strut assemblies out and had a shop swap springs for me, then put them back in at home.
      '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

Hi
        I tried taking off the shock and roll bar links, but couldn't get enough lift to get the old out and new in.
        Had a go with Rob to get get them out with conpressors, but the length of the rods fouled the axle and mounts to get them out.
        Then i tried rope and links to keep them compressed whilst lifting the car. didn't work.
        Got some M12 bar to make a compressor through middle of spring to rlease and attach rope to new springs.

Ideally a set of compressors with short bolts would be ideal.
        Si Tate, will PM you later, thanks

PS, bought a soarer 4 litre GT as well..

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkie67 View Post
          Hi
          I tried taking off the shock and roll bar links, but couldn't get enough lift to get the old out and new in.
          Had a go with Rob to get get them out with conpressors, but the length of the rods fouled the axle and mounts to get them out.
          Then i tried rope and links to keep them compressed whilst lifting the car. didn't work.
          Got some M12 bar to make a compressor through middle of spring to rlease and attach rope to new springs.

Ideally a set of compressors with short bolts would be ideal.
          Si Tate, will PM you later, thanks

PS, bought a soarer 4 litre GT as well..
          My compressors are tiny so it's probably why mine was easy.
          I shall await your P.M for further instructions.

Comment

Sorry to butt in...but Si...do you have a link to the type you have (for future reference)?

Ta

Comment

No sure why you deleted that, Bushy (was a good point)...but yeh...I missed that it was a 3rd Gen

Carry on!

Comment

I thought they were talking about the front springs.
                The rear set-up is the same on 2nd and 3rd gens.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylux View Post
                  Sorry to butt in...but Si...do you have a link to the type you have (for future reference)?

Ta
                  Sorry mate but no link, I've had my stubby compressors for donkeys years, don't even know where I got them from.

Comment

We attempted the n/s/r spring on mine. I put the o/s/r & n/s/f wheels on ramps and took the o/s/f wheel off off; lowering it until the disk was touching the floor. Just squeezed the spring out but the lifted springs are 20% stiffer and they were already bending when compressing the old saggy springs. Not to mention the fouling Andy mentioned.

Maybe you could give us a hand Si?

Comment

Hi all

Finally managed to get the rear springs changed thanks to Si.

Next job is to do the fronts, the rear is much improved ride.

Noticed on roughtrax that they sell a top strut mount plate, is this to be replaced routinely at the spring change or just in case it has rotted.

Going to order all the bits when they get the front Ranchos back in stock, just wanted to know if I needed them or not before ordering.

Regards

Andy

PS parts for sale from old 2.4 engine in the sale section.

Comment

Working...
                      X