Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF Fluid change problem Gen3

Hi all.

Last week i changed all the fluids on my surf and after draining the gearbox fluid, i wasnt happy with just the sump refill of 2.3L that came out, i decided to do a two bucket method today. ( ATF was dark brown, probably original fluid)

As per various researches on how to do a complete flush, i gave it a go.
    ( Drivers side rad hose=fluid out and Passenger side=fluid in)

I done that only to find out that drivers side hose was sucking the fluid in and passenger side hose was spitting it out.

Anyways, after i swapped the hoses again, i only got about 3L of fluid out, but nothing was sucked back in?? I had to refill the fresh fluid trough dipstick.

So thats where i am now.
    I haven't driven that car since, just around the block, but there is a slight delay now when first engaging into gear. ?

Is this normal, or am i doing something wrong here?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by xpro; 17 May 2013, 22:40.

If you only got 2.3l out with a sump drain, you were low on ATF. You should get around 4.5 litres.

Id therefore be tempted to top up by the amount you got out, plus another 2 litres, fire it up, cycle it through all the gears. while sat in the garage. and then see what happens. Let the car warm up to operating temp. Cycle it through the gears again and recheck the level on the dipstick when its all hot
    Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
      If you only got 2.3l out with a sump drain, you were low on ATF. You should get around 4.5 litres.

Id therefore be tempted to top up by the amount you got out, plus another 2 litres, fire it up, cycle it through all the gears. while sat in the garage. and then see what happens. Let the car warm up to operating temp. Cycle it through the gears again and recheck the level on the dipstick when its all hot
      Hi.

I just checked the level, cold engine and its showing max. Thats with 2.3L refill??

Im curious at this stage why the two bucket method didnt work for me?

Comment

you need to check when hot.

as per advice from bogus

cold is a false reading

Comment

Originally posted by xpro View Post
          Hi.

I just checked the level, cold engine and its showing max. Thats with 2.3L refill??

Im curious at this stage why the two bucket method didnt work for me?
          I'm guessing you're not checking the level with the engine running?

Comment

As above:
            The engine needs to be at operating temperature & driven for a few miles.
            Park on level ground & cycle through all the gears a few times leaving it in each gear for a few seconds, all this needs to be done with the engine running.
            On the last cycle, place the truck in park & remove ATF dipstick & wipe clean then replace dipstick & take an accurate reading, again with engine running.
            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

I was checking the level cold and engine off. No experience with auto gearboxes at all

After driving the car and getting the fluid nice and hot, and the engine running, the fluid was low, half way below cold mark.
              So I topped it up again , and now its sits halfway between hot and cold.

Comment

and is it all running OK and changing gear when it should without any jerkiness?
                If I were you ( based on the fact that it looked brown when you first drained) I would now drain again, and then refill with 4.5 litres. ( even if you only get 3.5 out) You'll have cleaner oil ( by dilution ) and you will have the right amount in which you can prove by checking it properly when hot, having cycled through the gears. Trust me the level will be at around the hot full mark and it,ll be worth it. A few litres of ATF is cheaper than a replacement box. Every time I do an engine oil change I also drop out my ATF sump content and refill. Result is permanently clean red ATF.
                Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                  and is it all running OK and changing gear when it should without any jerkiness?
                  If I were you ( based on the fact that it looked brown when you first drained) I would now drain again, and then refill with 4.5 litres. ( even if you only get 3.5 out) You'll have cleaner oil ( by dilution ) and you will have the right amount in which you can prove by checking it properly when hot, having cycled through the gears. Trust me the level will be at around the hot full mark and it,ll be worth it. A few litres of ATF is cheaper than a replacement box. Every time I do an engine oil change I also drop out my ATF sump content and refill. Result is permanently clean red ATF.
                  Exactly what I used to do with mine, always nice to have a red dip stick all year round "OH ERRR".

I miss all the tinkering with the truck.
                  If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                    , always nice to have a red dip stick all year round "

I believe that there is a certain type of gentleman who quite prefers a brown dipstick. Cant say as I approve myself.:

Time to stop this, I'm starting to sound like Slobodan
                    Сви можемо

Comment

Thanks for the help.

I will drive the car for another day and then change the fluid again.
                      Other then that, car is driving fine and smooth.

Comment

ATF change

I had a leak from the seal on my ATF sump so when draining via the plug a friend of mine who is in the business advised me to undo and allow to drain over night...That certainly meant more than 2.3L came out, closer to 5.5L, however, I also slightly raised the front to assist this.

I also removed the sump and strainer and in total extracted 6.5L of ATF that was in any case a pleasant light reddish colour.

It does just sound like there was insufficient in there in the first place (as already suggested). Mind you checking ATF levels is an odd game really engine running hot or cold !

Cheers + ATVB

Philip
                        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Comment

Working...
                        X