open diff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• open diff?

do any of the toyota surfs come with open diffs in the rear? im buying some aussie lockers and they wont fit in my lsd. i think the diffs are 8" rear and 7 1/2" front. also is there any way i can tell what ratio is in there without counting teeth. i replaced both diffs from a hilux pick up which i know was a better ratio for bigger tyres.
    Completely bitten by the off road bug, and what better vehicle to do it in!

2ndgen surf axle codes ending in 5 are lsd,ending in 4 are open.

G144 - 4.88 ratio open
    G145 - 4.88 LSD

G294 - 4.10 ratio

G254 - 4.55 ratio

That's from memory so the ratios may be a little bit out..

There is an auto locker available for an LSD diff I'll try and find the link..

Comment

Post #17

Comment

Thanks. Looks good. I don't mind getting an open diff off something else. Just a quick question. Is there any way to identify the diff and what model it came out of from just the diff casing. Or in the case of the front diff the whole unit was exchanged. I only say because if I remember rightly my rear diff is different because it uses larger bearing and is strong than my surf one that came out. Same for the front. I still have the old LSD and front diff. Will probably sell them off cheap.

Comment

Diff info

Comment

That's a really good link. Also shows that you can get the factory hilux front diff units with diff locks as stardard and swap the whole thing out. I have someone offering me one and now I know it'll bold straight in for very little money. Only rear locker needed. Might be able to find factory one as well. Thanks.

Comment

AFAIK there is no factory front diff lock option ?

Unless you mean the add stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Cooler View Post
                do any of the toyota surfs come with open diffs in the rear? im buying some aussie lockers and they wont fit in my lsd. i think the diffs are 8" rear and 7 1/2" front. also is there any way i can tell what ratio is in there without counting teeth. i replaced both diffs from a hilux pick up which i know was a better ratio for bigger tyres.
                if i remember right one of the lockrights is for the LSD diff models.
                however not sure which diff it fits as there is two main diff types. yanks call them "4cyl" and "v6" diffs. the turbo diesels use the "v6" diff which is the stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                  Bookmarked

Comment

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ic.php?t=16677

Nev.

Comment

Working...
                    X