Fuel Pipes question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pipes question.

Just had MOT, passed with flying colours as always.
    The Mechanic told me I should look at replacing the fuel pipes that run down the off/side. As they come from the engine bay and turn under the car they are very corroded with flakey paint coming off. They are 2 metal pipes. They are not leaking yet, but it looks imminent.

I can't seem to find anyone selling them.
    Roughtrax, Milners etc.

Any one know where I can get a set?

Just had another look at the pipes, they are water pipes that run from the main heater control pipes on the bulkhead to the auxilliary heater for the rear passengers, so not fuel pipes at all they start off as rubber hoses then metal before connecting to rubber pipes again to enter the floor from underneath.
    So same question really, where can I get a set?
    Also will turning the passenger auxilliary heater to the cold position cut out that section if it does develope a leak on the metal section of the pipe?
    I blame the mechanic anyway
    Last edited by phoenixpete; 3 April 2013, 14:30. Reason: Wrong question

Sorry updated with correct question.

Sorry, just checked, not fuel pipes but heater pipes.
    Originally posted by phoenixpete View Post
    Just had MOT, passed with flying colours as always.
    The Mechanic told me I should look at replacing the fuel pipes that run down the off/side. As they come from the engine bay and turn under the car they are very corroded with flakey paint coming off. They are 2 metal pipes. They are not leaking yet, but it looks imminent.

I can't seem to find anyone selling them.
    Roughtrax, Milners etc.

Any one know where I can get a set?

Just had another look at the pipes, they are water pipes that run from the main heater control pipes on the bulkhead to the auxilliary heater for the rear passengers, so not fuel pipes at all they start off as rubber hoses then metal before connecting to rubber pipes again to enter the floor from underneath.
    So same question really, where can I get a set?
    Also will turning the passenger auxilliary heater to the cold position cut out that section if it does develope a leak on the metal section of the pipe?
    I blame the mechanic anyway

Comment

Either find a decent set from a breaker or go to Toyota main dealers and pay silly money.

Other option (if it's a similar setup to the 2nd gen) is to bypass the rear heater pipes by fitting a small 'u' shaped pipe. (In the engine bay just above the turbo)

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
        Either find a decent set from a breaker or go to Toyota main dealers and pay silly money.

Other option (if it's a similar setup to the 2nd gen) is to bypass the rear heater pipes by fitting a small 'u' shaped pipe. (In the engine bay just above the turbo)
        Thanks, bypassing is probably the easiest, I hadn't thought of that.
        I did think maybe I could use rubber hose all through rather than rubber each end with the metal pipes in between. Not sure if this is practical as it is quite easy to get a kink at any bendy places.

Comment

I had the actual fuel pipes that run down the near side corrode and leak. I just removed the entire supply and return pipes and replaced with quality rubber hoses from the tank to the fuel filter/pump return.

Had a cheeky Land Rover driver tell me that would be a MOT fail removing the steel pipes, dont know what he was on about seeing as all the old discos and defenders used hose from tank to pump....

if its just the heater pipes I'd deffo do the same again! Unless you never use the rear heater...

Comment

I had the same thing on my 3rd gen on MOT . Advised fuel hoses corroded . He said a rub down and repaint with cold galv paint would be fine . Struggled to find the corroded bit , but as he is the man with the MOT status I painted the pipes . It passed this years MOT at same garage but different tester . He said he saw the work I had done and Surf passed no probs . 3 days later on the coldest day of the winter -6 , the rear heater pipes burst !! The MOT tester the previous year had also incorrectly identified the heater pipes as fuel lines .
            I am replacing the steel pipes with 8mm i.d. rubber heater pipe . A 4m length will be more then enough for the 2. I will join the rear heater pipes with inline connectors from a hydraulic company so I don't have to remove the centre consol . I have temporary U pipe in the system to bypass the rear heater . Rubber is fine under the vehicle for fuel or heater as long as it of the correct spec and securely clipped in place .
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

I got an advisory on my fuel pipes corroded. Was the already disconnected heater pipes. Eejits.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
              X