Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s car go View Post
    Ben
    The crap in the inlet manifold is from the EGR system.Mine was caked as well.Best thing for the EGR is put it in the bin!!!!
    Poor starting is normally the glow plug circuit,easy to short out when working on the head???
    You could try a drop of atf in the fuel filter or if your low on diesel in the fuel tank.
    If you've checked everything else,timing, plumbing etc then it only really leaves the injector,which as you said,got loosened in error!!

You did fit the injection nozzle seats ???

Regards

Mark
    Filter should be fine, replaced only about 3000km ago but you're right, I should check it.
    Will get the EGR off totally I think.
    Going to order a set of injectors from Diesel Bob so hopefully that should sort it. Doubt the glow plug circuit could have shorted, first thing I did was remove both batteries and they were the last things back on except fot the bonnet although I will probably replace glow plugs at same time as injectors.

Many thanks

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_D View Post
      Filter should be fine,
      You've mis understood Ben.
      Not the condition of the filter,half fill the filter with a mix of atf and diesel and run the engine.Atf is an aggressive cleaner,might sort out the problem!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_D View Post
        thinking that this could well be the problem.
        Yep, that's where my money would be.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          Yep, that's where my money would be.
          Hope so, new set should be here tomorrow so I guess I'll find out then.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ben

Comment

Hi All,

I'm stumped. New injectors fittied and the issue is still there.

Misses slightly at about 1900rpm and is still smoky and shaky to turn off.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Ben

Comment

I would have to say pump timing. Seems timing related to be honest.
              well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Thanks Muddle.

I'm thinking it must be timing related too but struggling to work out how anything would have changed. I've not changed the pump and I'm fairly sure that the cam timing is correct.

Method for the latter was.....

Turn crank until all three pulleys were lined up with their respective marks.
                Remove tensioner
                Remove idler
                Remove belt

I then changed the head which appeared to be lined up with notch in camshaft at the timing mark, pulley was fitted to cam.

Marks checked for alignment (crank wasn't moved whilst head was off)

Idler fitted
                Tensioner fitted
                Belt fitted

Marks checked for alignment
                Crank rotated 4 times, marks rechecked, no resistance encountered.

I'm as sure as I can be that this is not out however, if it was out by one tooth would I get pistons & valves colliding or would I just get crap running as I am currently experiencing?

I did notice when changing injectors tonight that they were very sooty, far more so than when I took them out of the old head and put them into the new one.

Thanks for all your help with this.

Ben

Comment

One tooth on any one pulley would make it run crap.
                  well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Any news Ben?

Comment

Working...
                    X