Glowplug indicator lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glowplug indicator lights

When I turn the key in the ignition, I can hear two consecutive clicks from the engine bay, which I believe to be the glowplugs heating up, then another click and possibly a vacuum which happens along with the abs light going off.

However, I don't get a light on the dashboard for the glowplugs. The 80amp fuse seems to be intact.

Is it most likely to be a blown bulb?
    Last edited by Surfboy; 28 December 2012, 19:02. Reason: spelling

OK, I have sorted the fuel priming issues that I was having and I can feel the primer bulb becoming firm. I am confident the fuel is getting in the system properly.

I still have no glow plug light on the dashboard and I have had to jump start off our other car, as I have flattened the battery. However, it is not firing so I can only assume that the absence of a glowplug light is actually a sign of a problem other than a blown bulb.

Apart from visually confirming the 80amp fuse looks intact, I do not know what to check next.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Comment

Hi, are you getting voltage at the glow plug buss bar? Check with a multi-meter you may want someone to turn the ignition on for you as you will be trying to test before the relay cuts out! I think the draw is about 20 amps, 5 amps per plug. If you are getting correct voltage and amps your relay is working ok.
      The other issue is are the glow plugs ok? You can check each plug and you should be getting a reading of below 5 ohms, if it reads 0 ohms then its defective.
      Here's a better description.

http://www.ngk-dpower.com/en/technik...echnik-tipp-1/

hope this helps?
      Pete.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I am going to check continuity on the 80 amp fuse first, then I will have a look at the other fuses in case, before I test the glow plug circuit.

Stupid question, but what two points to I test for the circuit on the bar?

Comment

from the bar to earth.

Comment

Checked continuity as best I could on the 80 amp fuse without the hassle of taking it out and it is fine. So I checked all the other fuses in the box and the 15 amp ECD fuse had blown! Swapped it with the horn fuse of the same rating and bingo! Glowplug light works and truck started straight away.

Didn't bother checking the glowplugs as it's too late and dark and I need another bod to turn the ignition! That's for another day and not so much of an immediate problem.

Thanks for the input, I have learned a little bit more today!

Comment

Working...
            X