Four wheel drive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four wheel drive.

I am noticing difficulty in manouvering while in 4 wheel drive, its all very stiff.
    The front wheels don't seem to want to to turn .
    In 2 wheel drive its fine.

Originally posted by Cranfield View Post
    I am noticing difficulty in manouvering while in 4 wheel drive, its all very stiff.
    The front wheels don't seem to want to to turn .
    In 2 wheel drive its fine.
    On what type of surface?

Unless it's slippery enough to allow the tyres to loose traction, you'll cause transfercase damage.

Comment

Today I came off a farm track on to a metalled road and as I turned the bend (still in 4 wheel drive), I seemed to be still moving forward (not turning).

I should perhaps mention that I had the rear UJ on the prop replaced about 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranfield View Post
        Today I came off a farm track on to a metalled road and as I turned the bend (still in 4 wheel drive), I seemed to be still moving forward (not turning).

I should perhaps mention that I had the rear UJ on the prop replaced about 4 weeks ago.

It's because you were turning on a grippy surface whilst in 4WD that caused the problem.
        If you were driving in a straight line it would have been OK.
        2nd gens don't have a differential in the transfercase so you can't use 4wd if the front and rear wheels have good grip.

Comment

Thank you very much, I was afraid a large expense was looming.

I have had my Surf for over 10 years and it spends a lot of time off road in 4wd, but I rarely forget to switch it off when I go back on to normal roads.
          Thats probably why I have not noticed this before.

Comment

Working...
          X