Problems after fitting new head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems after fitting new head

I have had someone else put a new head for me, however he told me its running like a pig. It is running 200psi on one cylinder and the rest are 400psi.

I am pointing the finger at his workmanship as all my parts were sourced from Roughtrax.

I am just looking for some solid knowledge before I go down because I don't want excuses. My feeling is he had not checked the timing by hand and it is out, maybe bent a valve.

Could there be any other reason?

Valve or gasket leak, im more thinking gasket, could be that it wasnt torqued correctly
    well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Just had a look today and its worse than I could have thought. Number 3 piston does not compress flush with the block. While number 2 sits flush number 3 sits 2mm inside.

Comment

Turn the motor round till the pistons are on the down stroke, then see if it moves slightly further down with you press on the piston. If so its normally a big end/wrist pin bearing problem.

Hard to see how this can happen just by changing the head, no matter how bad you do it. Its normally old age/no servicing/big time hydrolocking that does this.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

To be honest I am not prepared to put anymore money into it. its an engine out job and I have spent more than I should already. I Spent £1100 on it, £1000 in parts, £200 at least in labour, then it needs £300 for some half decent wheels, then whatever else it will cost to fix/replace the bottom end.

I might as well cut my losses now; sell what I can and throw the rest of this pain in the arse away. I don't want to but at the end of the day its an old rust bucket and it still will be if I fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob5464 View Post
            To be honest I am not prepared to put anymore money into it. its an engine out job and I have spent more than I should already. I Spent £1100 on it, £1000 in parts, £200 at least in labour, then it needs £300 for some half decent wheels, then whatever else it will cost to fix/replace the bottom end.

I might as well cut my losses now; sell what I can and throw the rest of this pain in the arse away. I don't want to but at the end of the day its an old rust bucket and it still will be if I fix it.
            Sorry to hear of your issues however you should expect some problems on a nearly 20 year old motor.
            Having the head go so soon after your purchase is unfortunate especially on the 3ltr.
            If you do go down the scrap route you should find that plenty of parts will get snapped up,if you have the space for storage and time to do this then at least you will get some of your money back.
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

A friend of mine has offered to let me keep it down at his yard. Even though I had my heart set on something else I changed my mind; even though I have never done it before I am going to take the damn engine out, pull it apart and fix it myself. Its will cost me next to nothing, just time. I want something to show for my expense. He did convince me but he is right, it will be more effort to break it up anyway.

I can rebuild her...

I will rebuild her!

Comment

If you are going to all the trouble of engine out rebuild,why not go down the LS400 route?
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I can't justify the fuel bill. I do a hell of a lot of miles. Not only this but I would be throwing even more money at it for another engine.

I am also younger than most members on here; I am trying to invest in my future as well as enjoy myself.

Oh and I forgot to mention it costs shy of £2000 to insure as it is.

Comment

I can't justify the fuel bill.
                    No different to what it costs with the diesel engine you have in there now. (when it's running obviously)

Comment

Is the 3.0TD really that bad on fuel?

Comment

Is the 3.0TD really that bad on fuel?
                        I look at it as the Lexus V8 is really that good on fuel.
                        (compared to that old dinosaur the Rover V8 anyway)

Comment

Fair enough but the insurers would still take me up the green lane in it.

You have to admit the Rover v8 is still a legend. One of my favorite engines as far as noise is concerned.

Comment

Can anyone offer some advice on where to find a replacement rod?

No luck so far as google searches just bring up bearings and such =/

Closest I have is a 2.4 rod second hand. I wouldn't have thought its the same?
                            Last edited by Rob5464; 11 October 2012, 18:13.

Comment

Surf

Rob, cut the fuel bill down by using biodiesel. There's a place in Halifax that sells for £1 per litre with free containers!

That. Was you improve your fuel bill by 30%

Comment

Working...
                              X