Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing marks not aligned

hi all,
    I decided to change my timing belt as it was due and after extensive searches set about the task.cover off aligned my marks on cam shaft pully's removed and replaced tensioner,belt etc. reinstalled all and cranked over 2 full times and aligned cam shaft pulley no 1(top) to tdc and found that cam shaft pulley no 2(bottom)was not aligned it was short of the mark by about 1 tooth's width.Can anybody tell me what i should do now to get these marks aligned again as i have searched for what to do if they do not align and have had no joy.thanks paolo
    Attached Files

realign the crankshaft (bottom one) with the timing mark, then adjust the camshaft accordingly. you will have to remove the belt and do it all over again but it must be done.
    well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Also, make sure your belt is the right way round. Some are directional and having them the wrong way round can in some cases cause the timing marks to be out slightly.

Comment

timing

thanks for the replys,
        please bare with me its the first time i've done this.
        so remove the tensioner and belt,then re-align bottom one with spanner,then and i quote -
        "adjust the camshaft accordingly. "
        As the camshaft is already tdc,does this mean that it will move when i adjust the bottom one?.how do you turn camshaft?camshaft pully no1?
        once aligned refit belt,tensioner then crank over 2 turns,
        re-check marks are aligned.is that right?
        oh and the belt is the right way round.cheers.paolo

Comment

the top one is the camshaft. the bottom one is the crankshaft.

leave the belt on and turn the bottom one clockwise until the mark is aligned, then the top one should be out a tooth. you then slacken the tensioner and remove the belt, then you can adjust the TOP one NOT THE BOTTOM.

then with the belt back on, tension it all up, and turn the bottom one clockwise 6 turns (6 turns on the bottom is 3 on the top) and the marks should be aligned.

and to note when fitting the belt make sure it is as taught as possible between pulleys, because if its a tooth loose it will then be a tooth out when you have tensioned and turned the engine.

and always turn the bottom pulley clockwise, never turn the top one with the belt fitted.

Comment

hi,thanks for replying.3 questions
            1. can i turn the camshft pully anti-clockwise?
            2. do i use the camshaft pully nut to turn?
            3. will i encounter any resistance? cheers paolo
            Last edited by p.meaghan@ntlworld.com; 29 July 2012, 17:49.

Comment

1. yes, but only when the belt is removed.

2.you should be able to turn it by hand 1 tooth, try your best to do it by hand, you dont want to slacken the nut.

3.yes there will be resistance to some degree, but you should be able to adjust it by hand.

but do not turn the bottom pulley with the belt removed, you can adjust it slightly but dont go turning it.
              as for the top pulley just do it by hand the 1 tooth, dont go turning it around just move it as much as is necessary.

Comment

thanks muddle much appreciated,its the little nuances within proceedures that, if you have not done them before can be missed and cause even more damage.cheers,paolo

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
                  the top one is the camshaft. the bottom one is the crankshaft.
                  He's talking about a 3.0, not a 2.4.

All the OP has to do is re-time the engine. Exactly what he did already do, but with the marks properly aligned (keep the short edge of the belt tight when fitting it). If it's a Toyota belt, there will be guide marks on the belt as well.
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    (keep the short edge of the belt tight when fitting it)
                    This is where you've gone wrong, the tensioner dosen't keep this side tight, if you have any slack in the belt from the cam clockwise to the pump, as you turn the crank pulley the cam pully won't move till the belt tightens up, an then be a tooth out.

Just take the tensioner off again, get the marks lined up and fit the belt over the cam pully, then the pump pully keeping it tight then let the adjuster go and try it again.

Its not tricky once you've worked it out.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

[QUOTE=Albannach;772184]He's talking about a 3.0, not a 2.4.

All the OP has to do is re-time the engine. .................. just to clarify something Albannach,was that "opey" or "op" short for operator you called me?

Comment

hi tonyn thanks for replying ,so is what muddle told me the correct way of re-aligning the marks or not? because you have told me what i have done wrong which is important so i dont do it again,but not how to realign the marks before refitting belt, i only ask because of the previous reply stating" he's talking about 3.0 not 2.4",cheers paolo
                        Last edited by p.meaghan@ntlworld.com; 29 July 2012, 23:58.

Comment

Originally posted by p.meaghan@ntlworld.com View Post
                          Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                          He's talking about a 3.0, not a 2.4.

All the OP has to do is re-time the engine.
                          .................. just to clarify something Albannach,was that "opey" or "op" short for operator you called me?
                          OP - Original Poster.

Comment

If you have trouble getting marks to align and the crank is one tooth out, there's a simple solution. With cam at TDC have the crank one tooth before the timing mark. Fit belt to cam and then crank, turn crank a little to align. This works brilliantly on the 2.4 because of the short distance between pump and cam. No pump to drive on the 3Ltr but can also help with this side of belt. As Tony says this side of belt needs to be tight as the tensioner will not compensate if it's a tooth out.

Here's a good link with lots of pics of the 3Ltr.

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forum...ic.php?p=75400

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by p.meaghan@ntlworld.com View Post
                              hi tonyn thanks for replying ,so is what muddle told me the correct way of re-aligning the marks or not? because you have told me what i have done wrong which is important so i dont do it again,but not how to realign the marks before refitting belt, i only ask because of the previous reply stating" he's talking about 3.0 not 2.4",cheers paolo
                              I reaslse you asked Tony and not me, but I'll answer anyway.

The gist of what Muddle told you is correct, but I read what he was saying as being more relevant to a 2.4.

As I, Tony and Nev have said, all you have to do is line up the timing marks as close as you can, take the belt off, move whichever of the pulleys is out back in alignment, re-fit the belt (keeping the short edge tight), re-fit the tensioner, turn the engine (by hand) 2 complete revolutions (4 crankshaft revolutions) and re-check.

Comment

Working...
                              X