X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power loss & fuel consumption issue resolved

I thought I'd share my findings

I have a 94 ssrx 3.0L kzn
    My truck started smoking real bad and had sudden loss of power with the fuel consumption going through the roof, got about 5.5km per litre.

What worked for me was the easy EGR mod vacuum block off.
    About 3years ago I changed the centre exhaust box, I cant remember if it was milner or roughtrax box.
    I removed the box and had a straight pipe fitted in the place of the centre box, with just the small box on the end of the tail pipe remaining.

What I found
    My power is back to normal and I'm busy testing my fuel consumption, but so far it looks good. It is hardly smoking now. The only down side from this whole exhaust experiment is that it is slightly droney in the car.
    Just wanted to share my findings

Regards
    Deon

Hi Swanie

I see that you are in Cape Town, I would appreciate if you are willing to contact me and if its ok with you to meet and check my Surf SSRX 3L 130KZN ECU on your car and see if the problem of fuel starvation at 3000RPM is connected to the ECU as it has been repaired and this problem occurred after the repairs of the ECU, Turbo and servicing the Diesel pump.

So I may eliminate the ECU as cause.

My email:seapointauto@gmail.com

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam-Cape View Post
      Hi Swanie

I see that you are in Cape Town, I would appreciate if you are willing to contact me and if its ok with you to meet and check my Surf SSRX 3L 130KZN ECU on your car and see if the problem of fuel starvation at 3000RPM is connected to the ECU as it has been repaired and this problem occurred after the repairs of the ECU, Turbo and servicing the Diesel pump.

So I may eliminate the ECU as cause.

My email:seapointauto@gmail.com

Thanks.
      email sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero
        Thanks for sharing. I will try to bloc vacuum hose from EGR actuator on my kzn185. It might be sufficient.

How do you know in what position the actuator/valve is when you blocked the hose? Is it always in closed position when engine is off?
        It was explained to me that the valve should be closed once engine switched of, but on occation when valve is full of sut it could remain in the open position, at which you will not gain any benifits from just blocking of the vac pipe and a tube block is in order to get the required effect.
        I was lucky that mine was still opperational and actually made a difference.
        I have gained considerable power (Noticable). Fuel consumption has gone from 5.5 kilometers to 1 litre up to 7 kilometers to 1 litre of fuel. this will hopefully improve once I have an intercooler fitted with a original replacement K&N filter. once these have been done I will stop spending money on this 18year old engine and I will have the LS400 V8 conversion done, proven to give 8.5km to 1 litre of petrol in town driving and 12.5km per litre motorway driving. the catch is the R45000 I will have to fork out to get to those numbers.
        Sory if I elaborated to much.
        Deon

Comment

Working...
        X