yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coolant issues, if anyone could offer advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant issues, if anyone could offer advice?

Hello, I'm currently on holiday in Cornwall but I'm having some issues with the truck. The coolant is overfilling the expansion bottle and leaking so the radiator is emptying. I've not let the engine get hot. Before the trip here I changed the coolant. Also changed the rad cap and thermostat with genuine Toyota parts. So I'm starting to worry head has gone and pressurising the system. There's no 'mayo' under oil cap and no smoke at all from exhaust.
    Please if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated as we're supposed to be going home on Sunday.
    Thanks in advance.

I've just looked in radiator and found a mustard coloured paste if that's any help?

Comment

Perhaps that was just crud out the coolant system.

Comment

Depends where in Cornwall you are mate Stormforce is in Camborne, Have a look through mate as a few members on here are around the area, Have you tried all the relevant checks like burping the system, filling the coolant system with the front up hill usually gets rid of air, after you have done a journey and you stop the engine can you here a bubbling sound? Have you noticed any bubbles in the expansion bottle when the motors running, does the coolant have an oily film (when you have run it) like i say have a look who's local to the area you are in as they may be able to see something that may have been missed.
        I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The coolant seems ok, I can't see oil onit. When I turned off the engine the pipe in the expansion tank was bubbling. I'm in Gorran Haven, but phone signal is intermittent at best and I don't want to trouble anyone as I'm not a member myself.
          The coolant system was exhibiting these signs before I changed the coolant before the trip, which is why I changed rad cap and thermostat. It was ok, but perhaps I didn't stress the engine enough to test it as it only seems to do it when under heavy load.

Comment

In my own case when the pipe starting bubbling in the bottle it was the head, you may be lucky and it's not, I would try a couple of members and see if they can help more than i, It would be best to ask in the "general section" for help from one of the cornish boys.
            I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Head is cracked.

Nev

Comment

Head us cracked.

John.
                "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Are you in the AA?. If so give them plenty of notice to arrange a flat bed to get you back. cotmwall to mansfield aint gonna happen regardless of how much water you are carrying...
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

I'm not in AA but I've got pay and reclaim breakdown cover. I've had some quotes but they've been more than I can afford. It's going to have to make the journey and if it blows up along the way so be it I've had enough of throwing money at it now.

Comment

K Seal ???? Steel Seal ??? I almost hate to suggest them, but might get you home if thats whats needed.
                      Сви можемо

Comment

Depending on how much longer you are on holiday for would it be ethical to join a breakdown service and then say at the end of the week " breakdown"?

Failing that plan your journey home to avoid rush hour traffic ie at night when it is cooler and plan in lots of stops to fill your radiator back up make sure you have plenty of water ,do not try to pour the top up water straight in you will end up with a steam bath and waste more than you put in,keep the speed down to what you can safely drive at bearing in mind other road users.
                        If you have any luck it will be pi55ing down and cold.

You will become an expert on hgv rear axle design.

Good luck.
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Just a quick update, currently stopped at services on the m5. Done 2 hours of driving and so far everything is ok, no overheating at all. I don't think sealant stuff would work as it's blowing gas into coolant rather than coolant into cylinders.

Assuming I get back I'll have to make some tricky decisions about what to do, especially as a friend has offered me a 80 series landcruiser at a very good price.

Comment

Excellent news. take it easy bud...
                            That lc wouldnt be the one that sailed up stanage edge would it? If so I don't think there's much to decide is there?
                            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

thanks very much, we're at services on the m42 now so not long left. It is indeed the same one that coasted up stanage.

Comment

Working...
                              X