Drive problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
    I'd love to know how you manage to get 4.5 litres of fluid out via the drain plug hole.

I get this also, a 4.55ltr bottle of atf from the local motor factors is just the right size for a change. Does draining hot or cold make much difference?
    Non consternationes.

Comment

Originally posted by dazandcaz View Post
      I get this also, a 4.55ltr bottle of atf from the local motor factors is just the right size for a change. Does draining hot or cold make much difference?
      It burns your fingers.

If you have lost drive completely, I fear the damage has probably been done. You'll probably find the pump is shagged.

Pull the hoses off the cooler and put them over a bucket and start the truck, if it only dribbles out when in gear then it's knackered.

You'll never clean all the contaminated oil out without a complete strip down, and cutting open the torque converter, and it wears the clutch bands away too.

Just get a good used box and converter.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

my old merc had a problem where it would not move up out of 1st. turned out a leak had drained the oil, and burnt the clutches out..... new trans required.... doh!
        If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Just to keep up to date - another 5 litres oil drained and new oil added. In 2WD it will now move at a snails pace but is vlearly shot. I will try disconnecting the oil feed pipes tomorrow just to put a line under it though.

Question for those that know - How many hours would I expect to be charged for removing and replacing the transmission assuming I was able to source one myself? I'm in North Wales so there are plenty of 4x4 garages but money is tight

Comment

Working...
          X