Possible suspension problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible suspension problem?

hello everyone, been a long time since my last time here. The Surf was just parked for a whole 3 months (complicated story). Anyways, it still overheats (temp gauge says otherwise), still very thirsty (an average of 6kms for a liter) and still with the busted dashboard. To the main point; recently the Surf has developed yet another problem (possibly a suspension problem, but not sure). the rear tyres started to make contact with the body. this happens on both rough roads and the highway (if there is a small dip). I can clearly see the contact areas. I have no idea why this started to happen. Its sitting on 265/75-16 MT tyres and I think the tyres are not the problem. Can it be a shock absorber or spring fault? Do they need replacing? It runs a bit better with the suspension setting on "HARD".
    '94 Surf SSR-X --3.0l Turbo-KZN130W -- 400,000KMs

As no one else has suggested anything, I'll start the ball rolling by saying check for broken springs or missing bumpstops (the rear ones can rust and fall off)

Comment

check the free length of the springs, against the factory measurements and go from there, if the bump-stops have fallen off then, if the springs are at fault, the axle would be allowed further travel letting the tyres further into the arch area, causing the rubbing.
      Last edited by tonupteabag; 29 April 2012, 23:11. Reason: spelling's awful
      I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

yup, thanks for the suggestion guys. yes, it was a suspension problem (both springs and shock absorbers). the shocks were leaking. plus a garage told me it needs a complete suspension repair (front to rear). I was rolling with many loose nuts and even with no nuts at all. its in the garage now as we speak (text actually ) and can't wait for it. thanks again everyone. :thumbs up:
        '94 Surf SSR-X --3.0l Turbo-KZN130W -- 400,000KMs

Comment

Working...
        X