Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding gears

Hi there,

Two probs....advice greatly appreciated!

Driving down south today, couldn't get it into 4th, really grinding, after which very difficult to get it into any gear. Eventually got it into 3rd and it all settled down, but very narrow rev window to get it into 4th now...is that clutch? Cylinder?

Also, when pulling away slow, just feels a bit 'grindy', especially if, say, doing a three point turn. Any advice on what might be causing that and whether its related to the above?

Cheers
    C

Dual mass flywheel starting to break up?

Does it go into gear if you pump the clutch pedal a couple of times (double declutch) or still the same problem?
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 31 March 2012, 19:56.

Comment

I posted a thread back in 2006, my 2.4 manual was giving the same symptoms as you have described, it turned out to be the nylon bushes at the base of the gearstick which had broken into tiny pieces and would not allow the gears to engage correctly, its worth a look as the two bushes I replaced (genuine Toyota) were less than £10 and totally transformed the gearchange from grinding to slicker than slick, here's the link: http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23955

Comment

Thanks guys...

Double clutching definitely seems to help - seems to be a bit intermittent, and when it does occur its not that it won't engage, but that it takes very specific revs. As I say, then the double clutching really sorts it. No idea what's going on!

Comment

Sounds like a clutch fluid problem, have you tried bleeding the slave cylinder on the side of the bellhousing?

Comment

Runners have a solid flywheel, I think, so it won't be the DMF.

Comment

Working...
            X