Starter click click! advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter click click! advice please.

I went to start the Surf today and only got a click two or three times then it started ok.
    Is this the common starter problem or a "dodgy" solinoid?
    Is it much work to get the starter out? considering it's -5 outside.

Check the condition (state of charge) of the batteries first. Then check that the terminals are tight. If OK then it'll be the starter contacts that are worn.

Comment

Loads of room on a Turd Gen to get starter out, tis the easiest one to do.

You can do it from underneath, or remove air filter housing and get it out from top.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Nice one guy's, The batteries are both quite new and I had a good 80 mile run on Tuesday night so they should have a good charge.
        I will check the terminals & earths tomorrow.
        Can the contacts on the starter be replaced? It makes a bit of a noise like it's over running after the engine catches so might swap it.
        Rob.

Comment

1st item on this page resolve the issue?

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=623

Comment

Yeah I've seen the repair kit,
            I have also seen on ebay a new high geared starter motor for £109 anyone used one of these?

Comment

After the same symptons on my Gen3 went on for a couple on months, repaired with the starter repair kit in 2008 and its been ok ever since. Took starter out from the top. Bit of a squeeze.

Comment

I may be to late for you. I fixed my gen3 with a kit from here £15 I think.
                www.repairkitsuk.com

Comment

Just want to make sure ...did you mean check the contacts on the battery terminals? Mine has been playing up the last week. After a few trys it starts. i noticed the battery gauge was showing less charge than normal when starting up.
                  i also hear a clicking noise which is there when driving. it appears to be coming from the rear O/S.

Shirl

Comment

I've been having similar issues with mine for the last 3 months, but from my experience with other cars I've had, with the same symptoms, the problem is just dirt that's clogging the starter shaft. All I've done in the past is to remove the starter motor and give it a good flush through with WD, then pop a bit of grease in it and hey presto. I've never any further problems with the starter once it's been cleaned and refitted.

Right then, now to tackle my 3rd gen.

Comment

click click

Hi All,

This is a standard ware problem with all Gen 2 and 3's. You will in the end have to drop the starter out of the bottom of a Gen 2 bit of a pig but easily achieved. Gen 3 is easier. Strip the contacts out (L shaped copper terminals) replace and refit starter. Its easy.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                      X