Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator damaged

Hi all,

I introduced myself in another section and cant see that post, so first of all thanks to those that welcomed me to the forum- si tate, where are you exactly?

Now to an issue with the Surf I just bought, I checked it over as best I could with my limited technical knowledge before I bought it and on the whole it seemed fine. I took for a run out on Saturday and again all seemed okay barring a small noise I am putting down to the exhaust blowing slightly somewhere.

Anyhow on the way back home I pulled over to go to a shop and saw steam coming from under the hood, opened it and found a big gouge in the radiator that followed the shape of the fan- got a recovery guy out to take me home (funny guy so took the edge off the pain haha)

I put it down to something getting blown up in between the fan and went out and bought a radiator then took it down to a local garage- the mechanic there says it is the viscous coupling that has failed and caused it to hit the rad- the viscous coupling is seized and needs servicing or replacing but could it be that what has caused the fan to hit the radiatior???

Not heard one where the fan hit the rad on here and can't think how that happened. The viscous couplings need re-oiling (inside) every few years or so as the silicone oil in them seems to disappear, then they look like they're doing the job they were designed to do but really aren't, the next you know about it is that under load you'll overheat and bust the head as the temperature guage will not move because its a piece of sh*t.

Look on ebay for another then service it before you put it on or if you've got money to waste buy a new one from roughtrax or milners online and fit that. H

Comment

Working...
    X