Questions re: veg oil, fuel heaters, dual fuel, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions re: veg oil, fuel heaters, dual fuel, etc

I am seriously considering going fully veg-oil fueled. Currently, I only use it in the warmer months.

Can I get exemptions on road tax if I do this?

Would I need a dual fuel system with a small diesel tank?

Which fuel heating system is best? Do I need an inline heater, a heating system in the veg-oil tank, or both?

for what its worth, i was dubious about putting a different fuel in my car after many years of putting pump diesel in it, but, I ran my 3 litre surf purely on used veg oil (cold filtered to 1 micron) for 2 years solid, no fuel heater, no dual fuel just straight veg with no issues at all, 5 months after the first lot went in I had to change a blocked fuel filter but from then on no issues at all

Comment

I'm currently looking at putting together a cold filtering system. Would love some advice on this too.

I was running on SVO last year when it was cheep and had starting problems with about 90% SVO mix on cool summer mornings. I can't see my truck starting on a similar mix at this time of year.

Now I'm stocking up on WVO for warmer times but if any one knows how to run on veg oil all year round without too much bother I'm listening.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyWalkabout View Post
        I'm currently looking at putting together a cold filtering system. Would love some advice on this too.

I was running on SVO last year when it was cheep and had starting problems with about 90% SVO mix on cool summer mornings. I can't see my truck starting on a similar mix at this time of year.

Now I'm stocking up on WVO for warmer times but if any one knows how to run on veg oil all year round without too much bother I'm listening.
        I run mine 50/50 all year with no apparent faults,
        I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyWalkabout View Post
          That doesn't sound healthy, mate. I've used 100% right up 'til October, in the past, and it's only when it's properly starting to get cold that I have problems starting the truck (well, not problems per se, more a huge cloud of unburned veg oil coming out the exhaust).

I know of a couple of forum members who run it straight, all year round; to be honest, I think it depends on one's truck - some seem less temperamental than others. I may just get one of those in-line heaters to assist starting on cold mornings.

Comment

I have run new veg oil for the last 2 years no problems at all.Buy it from where ever is cheapest(My tesco's is doing 10l for £9 at the moment)As others have said i only put a bit of diesel in if it gets realy cold.

Comment

Originally posted by MadcapMagician View Post
              That doesn't sound healthy, mate. I've used 100% right up 'til October, in the past, and it's only when it's properly starting to get cold that I have problems starting the truck (well, not problems per se, more a huge cloud of unburned veg oil coming out the exhaust).

I know of a couple of forum members who run it straight, all year round; to be honest, I think it depends on one's truck - some seem less temperamental than others. I may just get one of those in-line heaters to assist starting on cold mornings.
              It just needs the coils switched a couple of times before starting but sounds a bit ropey till it warms up. Haven't tried it on SVO this winter as local supermarkets aren't selling cheep enough. Just assumed it would struggle when colder but if people say it will run through winter then that suits me!

Been getting WVO from the local pub which runs a thai kitchen so I'll have the best smelling truck in town
              Just need to sort out a filtering system first.

Comment

Working...
              X