Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy 1997 3.0 TD

Can you help me?
    I am interested in buying a 1997 Surf fitted with a 3.0 TD engine. Can anyone tell me if these suffer with the same problems to cylinder heads and gaskets as the earlier models did?
    My wife and I are retiring soon to live in Spain and we will be doing very high mileage, so I need a car that will be reliable and not break down in the spanish mountains.
    Thanks for your help
    Fireman

Hi Fireman,

As far as I am aware the 3.0 engine does not have the overheating problems associated with the earlier 2.4 - so you should be fine.

However if you are intending to tow I gather it is wise to install an extra cooler for the transmission fluid.

Good luck with the move to Spain.

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

As Trev has said, the 3.0l has a great reputation for reliability. In the time I've been on these forums, I can only recall one 3.0l suffering any head problems, it would seem to have been an isolated incident.

With regard to mileage, these certainly seem to be well up to it, I've over 192,000Kms on mine and I know there are others here with much higher mileage on theirs.

Go for it, they're a terrific vehicle.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Go for it!!!
        I've recently bought a 1997 3.0td - its the best all round vehicle that I've ever had. I would be very suprised if you had any bother with one - as long as you buy wisely and keep it properly serviced.
        Keith

Comment

Of some concern ...

Originally posted by UDTrev
          Hi Fireman,

As far as I am aware the 3.0 engine does not have the overheating problems associated with the earlier 2.4 - so you should be fine.

However if you are intending to tow I gather it is wise to install an extra cooler for the transmission fluid.

Good luck with the move to Spain.

Trev
          Hi Trev ...

I have just had an oil cooler fitted this morning to my SSRX 3 ltr.Nigel who did the work,and knows his business told me that he has renewed 3 heads on 3 litre T/D,s during the last 18 months.I did,nt think this happened on 3 ltrs - any info ? could he be confusing these with 2.4,s ? He says not ..
          regards
          Surfin

Comment

Oldest 3 litre Surfs are 11 years old or so now. Any engine can crack a head for various reasons but for the 1KZ-TE, it certainly doesn't appear to be a common problem or design issue.

Comment

Mine now has 162,000 miles on original head

Comment

Working...
              X