Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will not idle - black smoke

Hey guys,

I just bought a 96 intercooled 3.0L from japan, I've put about a tank and a half of fuel through her when sh*t hit the fan.

The truck ran perfectly when I shut her off, then about half hour later when I went to start it the engine would turn over but not catch. I tried giving it a bit of gas and she lit up but as soon as I let off the petal the engine dies; also, when it does finally start there is a plume of black smoke coming out of the tail.

When I bring the rpm down to under 1k the engine starts to get rough. This happened once before but the second time I tried to start it things were normal... now it will not stay running unless I keep my foot on the petal.

I did add a diesel conditioner to the fuel for the 2 tanks I have filled.

I am a mechanic by trade but I have never worked on a diesel. My thoughts are:

1. Fuel filter
    2. injectors
    3. turbo seal
    4. fuel pump

I have changed the air filter and oils.

Any thoughts would be a appreciated!

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with it. If the turbo seal is gone, there would be oil in the intake tract, try pulling a charge pipe and see what you find in there. If you hold the key in the on position without cranking for about 10 sec, and then crank would it start easier? This would allow the glowplugs to get up to temp, and might help you determine if it's that, or a fuel issue that you have.

You didn't overheat it at all, right?
    '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

Originally posted by IanB2 View Post
      Sorry to hear you're having troubles with it. If the turbo seal is gone, there would be oil in the intake tract, try pulling a charge pipe and see what you find in there. If you hold the key in the on position without cranking for about 10 sec, and then crank would it start easier? This would allow the glowplugs to get up to temp, and might help you determine if it's that, or a fuel issue that you have.

You didn't overheat it at all, right?
      Nope it didn't over heat...

I just spent the last hour changing the fuel filter and still no good... or perhaps worse... it still won't idle but now when it starts it has much less throttle response (when I press the throttle it barely revs).

It feels like it is having fuel delivery problems to me. Maybe bad fuel or possible the injectors.

If it is the injectors, I don't know why it happened so suddenly with very little warning??!?!

I checked the rad fluid and oil and both are as they should be.

I don't think it is the turbo because it should still idle with a blown turbo seal, but I am still going to pull off the intake in the morning.

Any other ideas?

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Hiluxhunter View Post
        I don't know why it happened so suddenly with very little warning??!?!
        Timing belt.

Nev

Comment

Are you not getting an engine check light?

As Nev said, check the timing belt, and the pump to crank timing marks, and then pull the codes and see what you get, also it could be a blocked spill control valve, or the small filter behind the fuel temp sensor.

Then I'd try re-con injectors first, then a known good used fuel pump if poss as recon/new are expensive.

Wouldn't hurt to compression check it, just to rule out mechanical issues but i think somethings just got blocked, or the additives have shunted some crap from somewhere to somewhere else.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Just a quick update.

Timing belt is good. There were no codes thrown.

I have the intake and exhaust manifolds off at the moment and am going to have the head off tomorrow... I'm also going to clean the injectors while I have everything apart.

So... after a lot of contemplation and research I think its the head gasket, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the head is ok.

i'll post how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Easier to check the fuel delivery possible problems as Tony says first than take the head off??
              .... Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiluxhunter View Post

So... after a lot of contemplation and research I think its the head gasket, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the head is ok.
                A compression test would save you lots of time and hassle if it isn't the gasket. I wouldn't want to stress the head taking it off unnecessarililililily.

Although Surfs with a failed headgasket or any other even slight compression issues are normally very reluctant to start.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                X