1kz-te / 1kz-t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1kz-te / 1kz-t

I have a 1kz-te which I have wanted to put into my manual LN130 for a while now, after a lot of searching the internet and some useful advice from here I decided not to start the conversion as the general consensus was that the wiring will be a nightmare, I also learnt that it would be a lot easier if I had a 4 runner engine.

I have finally found a 4 runner with a cracked head that is being broken and I can get the engine and gearbox for a reasonable price. My question is - is it possible to turn a 1kz-te into a 1kz-t by taking all of the electrical bits off and replacing them with the bits from the runner engine.

My 2.4 engine has always burnt a lot of oil and I am just thinking I might as well upgrade than spend more money it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

To convert a 1KZ-TE to a 1KZ-T all you need is the mechanical injection pump and the throttle linkage. You can leave all the sensors in place but disconnected. You might want to keep the ECU for glow plug control, but you could also just use a manual pushbutton. I don't understand why a 4Runner is easier for the conversion than a surf? Do you mean the 4Runner is the 1KZ-T donor?

Comment

You'll have to relocate the engine mounts on the chassis.

Nev

Comment

Sorry if I was not clear enough in the first post. Yes the 4 runner is the donor vehicle, I have a Surf. I don't have the ecu for the 1kz-te, as I would like to keep mine as a manual truck I understand that I would need an ecu from a manual Surf, this will not be easy to find.

I have not yet bought the runner engine, but from what you are saying I might only need to buy the pump and the throttle linkage to get the engine running without an ecu? Would there be anything else I would need?

Thanks for the info Nifty Nev! Are the mounts on the chassis the same but just in the wrong position or will I need to cut the mounts off the runner?

If it is just the pump and linkage i might just get the whole inlet manifold, pump, flywheel and gear box.

Thanks for your reply Larson
        Last edited by mattisaLN130; 4 August 2011, 10:39.

Comment

In my case (85 Hilux pickup), I just cut off my original mounts and moved them back the required 3-4 inches.

If you wanted to run it as a 1kz-te with a manual tranny, you could use either an auto or a manual ECU, that doesn't matter.

You should also get the spacer between the inlet manifold and crossover pipe from the 1kz-t, on the 1kz-te this spacer has the butterfly valve which you won't need. Definitely get the flywheel and bellhousing, but the gearbox should be the same as is on your LN130, an R150 or 151. It's possible the shifters are in a different location, though. You should also get the front and rear driveshafts, as those are a different length. Also the transmission crossmember and the adapter plate that allows the transmission to sit back further. You probably know all this already but there it is anyway. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Comment

Thanks again Larson! But it seems the guy has already sold the pump off the 4 runner, he told me he wanted £300 for the engine and gear box ( I assumed that included the pump), when I called him today he told me that he sold it to someone in Canada for over £300. So I'm back where I started - I have the 1kz-te with an auto box but no ecu. The guy still has the rest of the truck so I can still get the flywheel, bellhousing, shafts etc, I could probably find an ecu (auto) quite easily as well. Is it fairly easy to wire up the ecu though, the mechanical side of it is not a problem for me, it's just the ecu that has had me worried.

Your truck sounds interesting, did you install the 1kz-te or the 1kz-t?

Comment

That's too bad. Those pumps are a hot item. If both the trucks are right-hand drive, I would first try and get a complete wiring harness from a 1KZ-TE, and just swap in the whole harness. That would be the easiest way to go. You'd need a wiring harness from a 1kz-te anyway to hook up all the sensors. Is your LN130 a 2l-t or 2l-te? I have heard of someone modifying a 2l-te harness to use on a 1kz-te, they are very similar in most regards. All of it involves quite a bit of work, but I don't feel like the wiring is all that difficult, just time consuming. Of course better than all that would be a mechanical pump. My engine is a former 1kz-te that the previous owner modified with a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8L pump, rendering it basically into a 1kz-t. That's another option you could take.

Comment

Originally posted by Larson View Post
                That's too bad. Those pumps are a hot item. If both the trucks are right-hand drive, I would first try and get a complete wiring harness from a 1KZ-TE, and just swap in the whole harness. That would be the easiest way to go. You'd need a wiring harness from a 1kz-te anyway to hook up all the sensors. Is your LN130 a 2l-t or 2l-te? I have heard of someone modifying a 2l-te harness to use on a 1kz-te, they are very similar in most regards. All of it involves quite a bit of work, but I don't feel like the wiring is all that difficult, just time consuming. Of course better than all that would be a mechanical pump. My engine is a former 1kz-te that the previous owner modified with a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8L pump, rendering it basically into a 1kz-t. That's another option you could take.
                I have the wiring loom for the 1kz-te but the wires that go to the auto box are cut. My engine is a 2l-te so I think I will just put the engine in and try make that loom work, will probably take a bit of f'ing around to get it working but I'm sure I will get there, if not there are loads of 2.8 Pajeros in the scrap yard up the road (surprise surprise) that I could get a pump from. Going to go get the manual box, flywheel and starter tomorrow, will check the length of the prop shaft and get them if needed, there will probably be a few other things that I will realise I need when get there. Thanks again Larson!

Comment

Working...
                X