Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power steering problem kzn185

Hi all
    Had some play in my steering rack so changed it for good one from a breaker,
    But now it is all back together (new bushings everything) the system seem to be airlocked,
    The pump is making a racket when the steering wheel is moved & its turning the fluid to like foam!
    I thought rocking the steering with the wheels off the ground would clear the airlock but it not happening
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance
    g1xer

foam and noise would mean a lack of oil i'd think, did you top up ?

Comment

yes oil level is perfect until it is run for a few mins then it turns to foam, leave it for 10min and tis back to oil again!!

Comment

Do you have any leaks ? is it possible suction side is drawing air, any power steering system I have ever worked on normally bleeds itself ie top up reservoir start eng turn full lock to full lock and then top up again, it is normal to get a bit of frothing as you are doing this but normally clears.

Comment

You're not doing it for long enough, just keep cycling it from lock to lock with motor running and checking the level.

It normally takes just longer than you think is ok and give up

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi

Which breaker did you get the rack from, I need to get hold of one for a 3rd Gen too

Andy
            ======
            Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

Comment

Which breaker did you get the rack from, I need to get hold of one for a 3rd Gen too

Hi took a few days for my steering to get back to normal! Tracking is still a bit off but not going to bother too much with that until i get track rod ends.
              Had hoped to have them in time
              Got the rack off a local guy close to me was the only one he had(i did ask)did not even tell him was for a surf as that confuses most of them. Told him i wanted one for a 97 model landcruiser.Interesting thing was the landcruiser is a prado import and has its engine still there and an INTERCOOLER same setup as the surf....Guess what im doing next???
              There is a small bit of play in the new one but nothing like what mine was..might get my own rebuilt now that im not in a hurry for it!

Comment

Working...
              X