No announcement yet.

3.0 TD Fuel Consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get between 25 and 30 out of the 4Runner, depends on how much farm work it does. High speed motorway driving,anything over 65, seems to kill the mpg figures.

Comment

Originally posted by ROMEROTECH View Post
      GPS is fine so long as you're on a flat and straight road with no elevation changes and you can keep your speed absolutely constant. Equally tyre pressures have to be correct so your tyres are the correct circumference to start with, and the faster you go the bigger the tyre circumference will become as centrifugal forces push and pull on your tyres, so you have to do it very slowly, but you'll still be guesstimating.

Normal navigation GPS takes readings at 1Hz-2Hz max, so not that accurate although still better than the speedo. Something like a RaceLogic Performance box takes a reading at 20Hz so you'd need something like the Performance box if you're intent on doing it by GPS to be more accurate.

Only way to be properly accurate is by a measuring wheel type instrument fixed to the outside of the vehicle. Then you cover a measured mile and then you can compare your speedo/odometer reading to an accurate reference measurement. Again, nice and slow.

Manufacturers across the world for years have designed into speedometers and rev counters a margin of error, so even though you think you're doing 40mph on the clock at 1500rpm the reality is much less than that. When i log speed on my Subaru using the laptop the reading i get is less than what i see on my speedo and rev counter even though it takes pulses from the same places the clocks do.

Personally i'll stick to using my clocks to work out mpg because at least that way the info i get is always from the same reference point and it's consistent despite the built in margin for error. Ultimately, it not going to be that many miles out so it's fine in the grand scheme of things.

all this seems a bit ánál, it doe snot need to be that precise, fine if you want to be that precise and have nothing better to do but i find my gps corresponds with the flashing signs telling me my speed, my speedo is always reading more and when the surf is out way more than any other car ive had, something more accurate needs to be done but not quite the lengths you suggest.

imho brimming your tank or using a measured amount of fuel and using your gps is near enough to get something reasonable.

im sure there is more accurate ways to do it that what you suggest but lets stick with whats easy for joe bloggs to do and not einstein.
      2nd Gen 3.0td, running on waste veg oil

Comment

Just adding my 2 pennyworth.
        Just done 1312km with 4 adults and 4 bicycles (3 on the back and one inside) + luggage on a tour from Devon to Galway City in Ireland and back. Drove at 70-80mph (speedo) on the motorways and keeping up with the traffic on other roads.
        Total fuel used 131 litres which works out at 28.5mpg.

Pretty happy with that. My previous car (Alfa 156 2.0) wouldn't have done much better.
        Mark

Comment

Hi all i jest done a trip from Swansea to Plymouth 2 adults and 2 kids,
          It showed 602(have not changed it to miles) on a full tank in a 94 3.0td driving about 55/65mph(sat nav) there and most of the way back might have gone further if i didnt have a lead foot the last 10miles b4 i got home long time on the road.
          Sorry but dont know how to work out the mpg.
          "I am Jack's complete lack of surprise"

Comment

Originally posted by Spike78 View Post
            Hi all i jest done a trip from Swansea to Plymouth 2 adults and 2 kids,
            It showed 602(have not changed it to miles) on a full tank in a 94 3.0td driving about 55/65mph(sat nav) there and most of the way back might have gone further if i didnt have a lead foot the last 10miles b4 i got home long time on the road.
            Sorry but dont know how to work out the mpg.
            To figure out mpg, you take the miles you traveled divided by the gallons you filled up with afterwards: miles/gallon. So you'd take the 602km divided by 1.6 to get 376.25 miles. Then take the gallons from the fill after this trip (make sure to fill to the same level each time, I do 2 clicks after the initial click) and away you go.
            '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

Old thread but FYI anyway

Hi there,
              1995 3.0td manual (95k miles) semi-rural use with 4x4 used to get up our slippery steep lane getting us 24MPG (120km uses 14 litres diesel)

Comment

Working...
              X