How long can diesel sit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can diesel sit?

Truck has been sitting there for 6months with a busted head so diesel has been lying in the tank for possibly longer than that, now that I am almost ready to crank her, should I bin the old stuff and get fresh diesel??

or will it be ok to top it up what do you guys recommend?

cheers
    Paul

As far as i know diesel doesn't "go off" IIRC
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

6 months is nothing mate, it will be fine.
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

You could add some Millers Diesel Boost ....
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

It does theoretically go off which is speeded up by the presence of air and sunlight but 6 months will be fine, I've used some years old before with no problem

Comment

Just top her up, will be fine.
            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

sorry guys just in from work, thanks to you all for replying, I will top it off with fresh stuff then.

Cheers
              Paul

Comment

Had diesel sitting in jerries for over 2 years and I've heard about "Diesel Bug" blocking the injectors etc:

The 'Diesel Bug' is not actually a single organism but up to 20 different ones have been identified. They are microbes that live and multiply on a fuel/water interface. They live and reproduce in the water, but feed on the nutrients in the fuel. When the conditions are right, they can multiply very quickly and cause a slime that blocks injectors and the rest of the fuel system.

6 months should be OK but I might just sling mine when I get home.
                @africa4x4cafe
                [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by bundubasher View Post
                  Had diesel sitting in jerries for over 2 years and I've heard about "Diesel Bug" blocking the injectors etc:

The 'Diesel Bug' is not actually a single organism but up to 20 different ones have been identified. They are microbes that live and multiply on a fuel/water interface. They live and reproduce in the water, but feed on the nutrients in the fuel. When the conditions are right, they can multiply very quickly and cause a slime that blocks injectors and the rest of the fuel system.

6 months should be OK but I might just sling mine when I get home.
                  The diesel bug as described above, if there, can multiply to horrendous levels in much shorter times than 6 months. Decant the diesel into another container before refuelling. If theres bacteria in it youll see it, your diesel will have discoloured, gone black probably, If the diesel came from a regular filing station forecourt and was stored in sealed cans, bugs are extremely unlikely
                  Сви можемо

Comment

I last filled up in January, after the inclement weather. I used her the other day to push the trailer out, and she ran sweet as a nut.
                    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Working...
                    X