drilled disks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drilled disks

has anyone tried drilled and grooved disks on their truck?there is a company on ebay selling them for £79.99.

have not tried but cant see the point, they are for "performance" vehicles not great huge 4x4s, just my opinion!

Comment

They perform better because they cool more efficiently but unless you are doing a lot of heavy braking or traveling down steep gradients a lot then you wouldn't notice any benefit I don't think.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

They'll just create even more brake dust.
        Grooved discs would be better to get rid of the gas build up.

Comment

I've never seen grooved discs for the surf available in the UK have you got a link please ?

Comment

They will crack a lot easier from heating/cooling cycles than a blank rotor. Not worth it, just get a quality blank rotor.
            '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

I'm in the grooved disc camp. Drilled discs are pretty pointless.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

And me, just slightly less surface area to help with the braking!

Noisy, consume pads and cost a fair bit more than standard. Grooved are better, but even so, don't think any surf warrants these tbh...

Performance products "generally" only work effectively at the top end of the range, so unless you live in the hills and need to tow up and down them, then don't bother.

Personally I reckon if it could be installed, ABS would be 10x more worthwhile
                Last edited by Wolfracer; 24 May 2011, 00:24.
                "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

I used drilled and groved discs on my race car. Apart from some weight reduction, I can't say I noticed much difference. Brake pad grade and type of brake fluid made more of a difference.
                  The wisdom on here seems to be that genuine Toyota pads have a stronger performance than cheap aftermarket pads.
                  My truck is a bit lacklustre in the braking dept and I have got a new set of Toyota pads to fit (tonight hopefully). Will report when they have bedded in.

Wolfracer - Both my Surfs have had ABS. I thought it was a standard fitment.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                    Personally I reckon if it could be installed, ABS would be 10x more worthwhile

Thats the one thing I hate about my 3rd gen, it seems too sensitive and doesn't inspire confidence when braking hard, just loads of juddering from the pedal.
                    I can't help thinking that the truck would stop much quicker if it had normal brakes.

Comment

Sorry, mines only a second gen - no ABS.
                      personally i would prefer ABS over non ABS any day - mine can lock 1 wheel, and i continue at the same rate of knots... at least with ABS the maximum force is always applied. and importantly steering maintained...
                      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                        Sorry, mines only a second gen - no ABS.
                        personally i would prefer ABS over non ABS any day - mine can lock 1 wheel, and i continue at the same rate of knots... at least with ABS the maximum force is always applied. and importantly steering maintained...

Your brakes could do with a service then.
                        ABS is fine on normal cars that are lower to the ground but not lifted 4X4s.
                        Actually it's VSC not ABS on our 3rd gen, probably why it's rubbish. I like to tell the brakes what to do not the other way 'round.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          Your brakes could do with a service then.

RHS sticky piston methinks...
                          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                            I've never seen grooved discs for the surf available in the UK have you got a link please ?
                            they have a shop on ebay called sportbrakediscs (all one word) the disks are listed under 4 runner

Comment

Originally posted by ckstratford View Post
                              they have a shop on ebay called sportbrakediscs (all one word) the disks are listed under 4 runner
                              Thanks. Noticed this in the description :

MTEC Brakes discs can be supplied in drilled and grooved, grooved only, dimpled and grooved or drilled only, all at the same price!

Which is nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X