oil capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil capacity

hi everyone going to change the oil in the surf tomorrow night after work, just wonderd what people recommend to use , i have mobil 5w40 semi synthetic on pump at work but that sounded a bit thin for an old diesel engine. I was thinking more like 10w40 castrol semi synthetic? am i right that the oil capacity is 7.5L in the 2nd gen 3L td
    Always up to my neck in it

I think it's more like 6.5L on an oil & filter change. Make sure you use oil for a diesel but 5W40 should still be OK to use.
    Mike G

Comment

I use Rotella T6 5w40 in my 1kzte and mine has over 400000kms on it and still going strong. I've run the Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 before but it doesn't last as long till the motor begins to burn it as the Rotella does. I have tried many many different types and the Rotella seems to be the best yet. Mine takes about 7L. I've sure all the synthetic running has taken some of the gunk out of the oil pan and the motor due to the high levels of detergent in the synthetic oil. Did a 600 mile round trip last week and was running it hard and the oil was still semi golden when I got home. To me that is some good oil. Before when I got the motor after a change it was black instantly as soon as I started it up and shut it off and checked the level it was black.

Comment

it's 6.5 to 7l of 10w40 or 15w40 semi synthetic.I wouldn't want to run mine on 5w40 as it's to thin a oil.Use it if you want to flush the engine out but not to run all the time
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

thanks off to change the oil now
          Always up to my neck in it

Comment

I have to agree with Stormy dont go any thinner.

Comment

I run the 5W40 in mine and I haven't had any issues and I am not easy on the truck at all. Also without the 5w40 in the winter here the truck will not start. It started at -46*F this winter not plugged in with the 5w40 in but it wont hardly turn over at 0*C with the 15w40. Most of the people with the 1kz's in the States run 5w40 year round and this is in places like Texas and California. Works just fine in the heat or the cold. It is thin when cold but it can take more heat than a conventional 15w40 as it is a 40 weight oil. Go onto bobistheoilguy.com and do some reading up on the 5w40 oils. Lots of guys with the Duramax, International and Cummins motors are running 5W40 year round pulling trailers and some run 10W30 year round too. If you put lots of miles on your truck you can extend the drain intervals. I'm doing a UOA when this T6 gets to 5000 miles to see how it is. If it comes out good I'm gonna go to 8000 miles. If it is good then I will try 10000miles. If it can stand that long between changes you will start saving money.

Comment

viscosity

For old diesels its important to look at the viscosity number at 100 °C, because there the oil is the thinnest. Shouldn't go much lower than 14 mm²/s viscosity.

Often 10W40 semi synthetic viscosity is around 14 at 100 °C, same with 5w40 full synthetic.
                But its good to check at the brand you are having.
                Full synthetic stays much longer brown before turning black, problem could be sludge loosening when switching from semi.

Peter

Comment

i just done mine 6.5L 10w40w part but if you email Guy at opie oils he will know all.
                  GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Comment

Oil Capacity

Toyota oil capacity
                    No problem with 5/40 grade oils.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by red barron; 9 November 2012, 20:26.

Comment

Working...
                    X