KZN185 another head gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN185 another head gone

Sitting at the traffic lights yesterday, car idling nicely and then lots of gurgling from beneath the bonnet, no visible steam from exhaust and temp gauge stayed exactly half way. Pulled over, bonnet up and noticed expansion bottle bubbling, like a coffee percolator.
    We managed to get home; luckily, we had only just started the journey and managed to slowly limp back the 5 mile that we had just covered.
    Anyway I left the truck cool down over night, I removed the rad cap this morning (outside temp was -5 degrees) so engine was stone cold, started the engine and immediately the coolant erupts like a volcano from the rad, I think its fair to say that the head has gone at a genuine 76000 miles. Its such a shame as the truck is immaculate in every way.
    My question is (and I have searched the forums) is there an engine workshop manual for the kzn185 motor? As I am tempted to replace the head, alternatively I might simply break the truck up for spares as I have totally lost confidence with these Surfs.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

If you want to sell the truck please put an add in the for sale section. Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by karl higgs; 30 January 2011, 11:20.

The coolant will bubble straight away if the head gasket has gone cos the compression in the cylinders will force gas into the coolant waterways and out the expansion tank.

Cheers,

Curly

Comment

It does sound like the head, but check other things (stat, rad cap, radiator flush) first. They don't normally just 'go'.

Roughtrax do a workshop manual and there is plenty of experience here on changing the head. If the truck is as clean as in that photo, it would be a shame to break it.

Comment

Originally posted by karl higgs View Post
        alternatively I might simply break the truck up for spares as I have totally lost confidence with these Surfs.
        Any help would be much appreciated.
        Why lose confidence? Fix the only major thing that ever goes wrong, and you should be more confident with it than ever?
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thats a pain in the arse...but like tony said fix it an you'll have confidence in it again...theres no point breakin it as it looks like a nice clean surf

Comment

As said, either sell as a non-runner or replace the head. Mine went and also just went ( no problems noted prior) at 80k. I replaced it as otherwise, mines very tidy for a '93 truck.
            I'm told back pressure on the cooling is notorious for killing heads, so mines getting regular system flush and coolant change from now on. No big job and worth it the keep the old girl running sweet. Also looking at upgrading the rad when funds permit.

Comment

My mate has a 6 month old Nissan Navara it needs a new engine only 12 k on the clock. Get the head done and it may last years, i know the feeling i have had two heads go on me, on 2.4 and 3.0 surf 2nd gen,these are still one of the best cheapest, most reliable 4x4 you can buy :rolleyes

Comment

Thanks for all the replys folks, we have pondered what to do with the truck over the weekend and your opinions have now convinced us to bite the bullet and get this damn head issue sorted once and for all, which leads me to the question (I no its probably been asked a million times before) who supplies the best quality heads and what heads should I avoid.

Comment

Either stevo at the engine co, roughtrax for an amc head or if you are as rich as lady dowager, Toyota.
                  One cannot emphasise enough the futility you will feel, if you buy a cheap Ebay head. It WILL pop at some stage. Get the best you can afford. Use the search facility, plenty of info on this issue.
                  Good luck and well done for making the decision to keep it.
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                  X