Transmission oil cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission oil cooler

Hi just done a 250 mile round trip to wiltshire today with horse trailer and one horse in my 2nd gen 3.0 surf. its had new head new rad ect and up hills im getting atf light on,but the rad temp fine staying in the middle,just making me sweat as i cant help looking at temp ect,so after much searching on here i need to fit an atf cooler to solve it. i know some of you guys have fitted one off ebay from Mocal, has anyone fitted this one in the link,would be gratefull if anyone could get back to me with advice on fitting.cheers wes

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_3591wt_905

This may help, different cooler & engine size but same principle.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=cooler
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

mornin

I fitted the 13 row version of this on my 3rd gen. Ordered from e-bay (can't remember where from but a racing company in Northampton rings a bell) and it came with not only the cooler but a decent length of hose, hose clips and instructions

Fitted it in line with the normal atf cooler

trans - additional cooler - normal atf cooler - back to trans.

fitting is easy just remove the upermost trans cooler pipe from the gearbox (this is the output pipe to the normal trans cooler, fit the additionla pipe to the additional cooler, fit additional pipe to other outlet on additional cooler and back to other metal pipe (this is the return to the trans)

Hardest part was finding a place to mount the cooler as mine has aircon, ended up mounting it in front of main rad just above bumper so gets a nice airflow without blocking too much of the main rad
      Whole job took less than an hour, but don't forget to add about 1/4 to 1/2 litre of trasn fluid to compensate for the additioanl piping & cooler

hope this helps

hawaii
      I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Fitted mine in the valance. Bought one from the local scrappy £20, Rover 75 use an ideal sized one and theres plenty of these in the scrappers as they self destruct at 75 grand. H

Comment

That one will be fine, fit it in front of the gaps in the front bumper, and plumb it before in-rad cooler and you'll be fine.

Originally posted by ziggy View Post
          Hi just done a 250 mile round trip to wiltshire today with horse trailer and one horse in my 2nd gen 3.0 surf. its had new head new rad ect and up hills im getting atf light on,but the rad temp fine staying in the middle,just making me sweat as i cant help looking at temp ect,so after much searching on here i need to fit an atf cooler to solve it. i know some of you guys have fitted one off ebay from Mocal, has anyone fitted this one in the link,would be gratefull if anyone could get back to me with advice on fitting.cheers wes

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_3591wt_905
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
            and plumb it before in-rad cooler and you'll be fine.

I can't see it makes much difference myself, the ATF is being pumped at quite a high rate and the temperature will be equilized at a lower temp anyway after it's circulated a few times after few minutes/miles of driving??

Comment

maybe, but personally I go this way because you really only need the extra cooler when you drive the auto box hard, then you use the extra cooler to take the edge off the really hot fluid leaving the box, then put it through the rad for extra cooling, or even warming up if its really cold out and the cooler is working too well when the box isn't under load.

No point putting really hot fluid though the rad first and heating the engine coolant as it leave the rad, the whole point of this mod isn't for the gearbox really (but it helps) it's to stop the motor overheating due to the temp of the AFT fluid when its in the rad.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                This may help, different cooler & engine size but same principle.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=cooler
                Hi ok thanks for that

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaii View Post
                  mornin

I fitted the 13 row version of this on my 3rd gen. Ordered from e-bay (can't remember where from but a racing company in Northampton rings a bell) and it came with not only the cooler but a decent length of hose, hose clips and instructions

Fitted it in line with the normal atf cooler

trans - additional cooler - normal atf cooler - back to trans.

fitting is easy just remove the upermost trans cooler pipe from the gearbox (this is the output pipe to the normal trans cooler, fit the additionla pipe to the additional cooler, fit additional pipe to other outlet on additional cooler and back to other metal pipe (this is the return to the trans)

Hardest part was finding a place to mount the cooler as mine has aircon, ended up mounting it in front of main rad just above bumper so gets a nice airflow without blocking too much of the main rad
                  Whole job took less than an hour, but don't forget to add about 1/4 to 1/2 litre of trasn fluid to compensate for the additioanl piping & cooler

hope this helps

hawaii
                  Hi great was going to ask about additional fluid so thats sorted, mine has air con too thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
                    Fitted mine in the valance. Bought one from the local scrappy £20, Rover 75 use an ideal sized one and theres plenty of these in the scrappers as they self destruct at 75 grand. H
                    Cheers Hazzo i will have a look at that

Comment

That one will be fine, fit it in front of the gaps in the front bumper, and plumb it before in-rad cooler and you'll be fine.
                      Hi thanks Tony, i see you have horses too towing them round is a bit of hassle the thought of breaking down on the motorway, nightmare thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        I can't see it makes much difference myself, the ATF is being pumped at quite a high rate and the temperature will be equilized at a lower temp anyway after it's circulated a few times after few minutes/miles of driving??
                        Hi, i was thinking this as mine goes out after a few miles of driving but just worried that it was heating the coolant up.
                        cheers

Comment

maybe, but personally I go this way because you really only need the extra cooler when you drive the auto box hard, then you use the extra cooler to take the edge off the really hot fluid leaving the box, then put it through the rad for extra cooling, or even warming up if its really cold out and the cooler is working too well when the box isn't under load.

No point putting really hot fluid though the rad first and heating the engine coolant as it leave the rad, the whole point of this mod isn't for the gearbox really (but it helps) it's to stop the motor overheating due to the temp of the AFT fluid when its in the rad.

Hi, i have to agree with you Tony, its got to help out the rad out if the ATF is running cooler, the ATF fluid must must heat up the rad running under it. im going to fit one as soon as i can thanks for your help
                          wes

Comment

It won't be increasing the coolant temperature in the rad any more if the cooler was before or after it, the ATF temperature would eventually equilize as it's being pumped around. It will be at a lower temp though as will the coolant.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              It won't be increasing the coolant temperature in the rad any more if the cooler was before or after it, the ATF temperature would eventually equilize as it's being pumped around. It will be at a lower temp though as will the coolant.
                              Hi, was just thinking is there any ATF that runs cooler on the market in guessing not. also i suppose i should change the ATF thats in it for some new.
                              thanks Bushwhacker

Comment

Working...
                              X