yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power Steering Gear (Power steering box?) Leak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Gear (Power steering box?) Leak.

All,

As of yesterday I noticed an oil patch on the ground on the drivers side just inside the front wheel. On investigation today having removed the right hand battery to get a good look, it appears to be coming from where the steering rod goes in to what I think is termed the 'power steering gear' (Power Steering Box) just below the universal coupling. Does this sound right? It looks like it's coming out of where the steering column shaft enters the box.
    Basically am I describing the right thing and how easy is it to remove and replace the seal for a practical but not overly mechanical person?! Will I need a complete Power Steering overhaul kit from say Roughtrax or can I go for seals specific to that part, if so where from?

Can I get away with some Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak until April time when ideally I'd like to wait to attack it if it is going to be a big job? Presumably it will need an entire steering fluid change after putting this or some other product in?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Regards,

T.

p.s Happy New Year!
    Last edited by TASR12; 1 January 2011, 18:05.

I've had a leaky p/s pump since i've owned the car and have been topping it up with the stop leak stuff and it has worked, no sign of a leak now for at least 6 months, may be worth a try

Comment

Mick,

Thanks for that, I may resort to using some of that stuff until I get a decent period where I can have a look, I just was not that keen in case it causes dramas somewhere else....namely the pump. I've read it isn't great to use but having said that it was from a company that reconditions steering parts so they probably would say that!

Comment

I've picked up some Wynn's stop leak how much needs to go in? 5% of how much? Whole tube of Wynn's?
        Any pointers appreciated!

Comment

i just top it up as necessary with stop leak, eventually it should stop leaking.
          all the stop leak stuff does is make rubber seals swell up, it worked for me (I used the Lucas stuff) and no signs of a leak were noted during its mot last week
          Last edited by mickyd; 11 January 2011, 20:34.

Comment

I topped it up as described but so far it's still leaking. To that end I've ordered the stearing box repair kit from Roughtrax and so it will be down to tackling a service on that when I get a chance and hopefully changing the leaking seal.
            Cheers anyway.

Comment

i got a 91 SSR 2.4TD

doing the same thing, not sure where its coming from but f me its ####ing out now...

the whole drivers side arch is getting sprayed - ill try the stop leak first cause i am pretty broke atm

how did you go TASR12 ? what ended up happening?
              4yrs and 2 surfs later...

Comment

I replaced the seals I could get at and no issues since.

Comment

Working...
                X