Handbrake 'stretched'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handbrake 'stretched'

after going for a play at Bures at the weekend the handbrake has about 8" more travel than normal. I'm assuming that the cable sleeve has parted company with a body mount somewhere but I can't see where. It all looks ok around the yoke area and the cables from the yoke to the rear wheels seems fine.
    Is there a likely area that I need to look at? or is it a case of pulling out the entire cable and sheath and inspect it for damage?
    Fear of death is the beginning of slavery

It's most likely that your rear drums are full of silt and mud and this is throwing the handbrake adjustment out. Stripping the rear brakes and cleaning out is all that's needed.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Wouldn't that have the opposite effect and reduce the amount of lever travel?

Comment

They all do it anywhere you offroad that's sandy and wet, like Roger says, clean the hubs out, reset the adjusters, put them back together and it'll be fine.

Or just use Park, and forget about hand brake till MOT time like most of us.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Ok I'll give the hubs a good strip and clean. I need to replace one of the studs anyway.

My Manual doesn't have a Park!
          Parking is ok - I just leave it in gear - hill starts on the other hand are a little tricky...

Comment

Working...
          X