yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this? And battery advice too please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this? And battery advice too please?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and new to owning a Surf. So far it's been interesting, I never went out with the aim of owning one - just kinda ended up that way - but so far it's been really good. Loving the grunty motor and smooth shifting auto box!

I have a 1996, 3rd Gen SSR-X. It's a narrow-bodied variety, and from the research I've done so far I have deduced:

1. It's more or less standard (15" rims and running 215/80R15 tyres)
    2. It doesn't have the 'winter pack' (single battery only).

Errrrr.....and that's about it really!

Firstly - can anyone tell me what this is on the dashboard, next to the rear window switch? It looks like it's in some way connected to the immobiliser, the keyfob has two contact points that look like they mate up to it. Does it charge or synchronise the fob?

Secondly, My (single) battery struggled a tad to crank over the engine this morning. It was cold, quite a nip in the air. I've checked the spec of it - 550CCA and 65Ah. The local Halfords seems to think I need HB334 - one of the biggest they do. This is also listed for a Landcruiser Colorado and a 4Runner so seems like a logical. Can anyone recommend an alternative? The dimensions indicate it will fit in the battery tray and the terminals are the right way round for the leads........

Anyway hello, and thanks in advance

DB
    Attached Files

Welcome aboard.
    Check your local Toyota dealer for a battery price as they can be the cheapest!
    (unusual as that may be for a main dealer)

Alan

PS the immobiliser thing is just that, if it's working correctly you should have to put the key fob part inti the dash part before it will let you start the engine!
    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Well. Who would believe it! OK I will call my local Toyota dealer tomorrow and will be prepared to be amazed......

Well I just press the key fob button (there's two - one to switch the immobiliser off. It's also kind enough to unlock all the doors as well. The other is a 'panic' alarm button). So the dashboard thingy is either to override the immobiliser again (which kicks in if the engine isn't started after 30 seconds) - or it's something else. Wanted to check with some experts before I started meddling and broke something.......Also there's a seperate button (and LED) above the immobiliser thingy. What's that?!

Thanks for the feedback!

DB

Comment

The little button should be fog lights (not always fitted or wired)
        www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Cheers - not got any fogs fitted so...........

OK, mystery of the extra button sorted. Just to fathom out exactly what the immobiliser point on the dash does now. Maybe I'll get all bold n brave tomorrow and see what happens if I press the fob bottom onto it.

Hoping it ain't the self destruct button

DB

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
            The little button should be fog lights (not always fitted or wired)
            Think ya may find it's for ya rear "Fog" light, Alan !!!

Jess
            "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtbag1402 View Post
              1. It's more or less standard (15" rims and running 215/80R15 tyres)
              If you have a turd gen, you don't have 15" wheels.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                If you have a turd gen, you don't have 15" wheels.
                Unless you have one of those weird ones with the 2nd gen running gear , like Ava Banana?? I think it was him anyway.
                Maybe you have his, was he not trying to sell it ?

Bogus
                Сви можемо

Comment

I just bought a pair of batts from Toyota Sunderland, £90 each give or take a quid. H

Comment

Hi,

Well from reading around on the web - it seems the narrow bodied gen 3's had 15" wheels? Only the wide bodies had 16" rims? I stand to be corrected.....

But you are probably 100% correct - could me some kinda cross-over Gen2/3 hybrid. It has coil-overs in each corner (a standard Gen 3 only set-up?), but then I have rear door that opens up not out.

I would love to get the the bottom of this - especially the wheel sizes - as I want to fit something a little bit more.......meaty. Thinking of sticking with 15" x7" rim sizes and 31" tyres.......with a 2" suspension lift......

DB
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Dirtbag1402; 19 October 2010, 10:08. Reason: Adding picture of my 2nd/3rd gen hybrid!

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                      Unless you have one of those weird ones with the 2nd gen running gear , like Ava Banana?? I think it was him anyway.
                      Maybe you have his, was he not trying to sell it ?

Bogus

Correct, different reg. number though...
                      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51662

Comment

Hi,

So what exactly are the differences in the running gear?

At least I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one with an 'unusual' truck. Was beginning to get cold sweats about buying a lemon......

DB

Comment

Working...
                        X