Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head damage

Hi All
    My KZN13o has started to produce steam from the exhaust and losing coolant. I'm sort of hoping its just the head gasket, whats the likelihood of the head being cracked? If it is, I may have to write it off and its just passed its MOT 3 weeks ago...dammit.

its a very high chance of the head going but you won't know for sure till its all been taken off and tested if you can't see any visible cracks in it
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Sorry mate, I'm afraid its going to be bad news. I've just done it myself. If you take the rad cap off whilst the engine is running but cold and you can see bubble of air all the time its definate.

Head £380 off ebay comes with gasket set and cam belt
      Water pump £25 ebay
      Head bolts £18 Roughtrax
      Thermostat £14 Roughtrax
      Radiator £180 Roughtrax

Bit of a shit of a job. Not realy difficult, but time consuming

Good luck

Comment

3.0 do just have the gasket go, I've done a few, but its more likely to be head. No point getting depressed till you get the head off though.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Only had my one 3 weeks and it went £1100 later and it's sorted.It was fine in the morning for the school run and looking like a steam train by the afternoon Easy to do the longest part was waiting for the head to turn up took the egr off at the same time.

Comment

It started to belch a little steam for about a second, about 7 weeks ago, I run it on 100% veg and I put it down to me not being too careful with de-watering the WVO. That was 1500 miles ago, as I went to Devon for the week in it. I checked the coolant and it was fine before I went.
            It was only yesterday I realised something more serious was up when it wouldn't turn over in the morning (obviously water had ingressed and its locked up under compression). Today, it looks like the Flying Scotsman....
            Mate of mine is a diesel mechanic and he'll do it for me.
            I'm just wondering if its going to be worth it tho. Shes a 95 SSRX with 130k on the clock. Rear window is next to useless, as is the rear passenger windows.
            It still runs fine at the moment, apart from the steam.... If I take it all apart and its terminal, what next..2 tons of immovable scrap!

Comment

My one gave no signal been running fine all day stopped for half hour before the afternoon school run came back out to The Mallard still did the school run fine.

Comment

Strange. I planned to take it for an estimate this morning. It started first turn and proceeded to chuck out steam. I turned on the heaters after it got warm, but it just blew cold air. The temp gauge started to climb and I turned it off. After it had cooled I checked the coolant and no surprise it was low, so I topped it up. It got warm and hot air came out the heater.
                Its now running like nothing has happened. I have a fundamental knowledge of engines, but this doesn't make sense.
                Any ideas??

Comment

Often its very small crack, it dosn't always leak untill motor is properly warmed up after long run. Because its such a small crack it also take weeks sometimes to loose enough water to overheat if you're only driving around town.

I'd still get it tested for exhaust gasses in coolant just to be sure
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                    Often its very small crack, it dosn't always leak untill motor is properly warmed up after long run. Because its such a small crack it also take weeks sometimes to loose enough water to overheat if you're only driving around town.

I'd still get it tested for exhaust gasses in coolant just to be sure
                    Well, its still running like nothing has happened! 400 miles too.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil.a View Post
                      Well, its still running like nothing has happened! 400 miles too.
                      Mine ran for six months from it starting to "lose" coolant then only began blowing steam out the exhaust when the thermostat stuck, no symptoms whatsoever, no bubbles, contamination, nothing, in fact hit ninety with ease the day before it seized/hydrolocked. After getting the head off there were cracks between the valves of cylinders 4,3,2, so 1 more and I'd have had a full house, so I'd start saving now if I were you as it doesn't look good. H

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
                        Mine ran for six months from it starting to "lose" coolant then only began blowing steam out the exhaust when the thermostat stuck, no symptoms whatsoever, no bubbles, contamination, nothing, in fact hit ninety with ease the day before it seized/hydrolocked. After getting the head off there were cracks between the valves of cylinders 4,3,2, so 1 more and I'd have had a full house, so I'd start saving now if I were you as it doesn't look good. H
                        I think I sooner scrap it and get another...

Comment

we buy breakers , how much are you looking for?
                          JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Well, we are just past the 1500 mile mark and still no more issues! Ok, I have been nursing it and not taking it above 2000 rpm, but its been fine.
                            Still going for the 3rd Gen tomorrow, if he accepts my offer on it!

Comment

Well, its now up for sale. Be quick!

Comment

Working...
                              X