Oil in Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil in Water

Header bottle filled with white greasy stuff which means oil is in the coolant I guess. No evidence of water in the oil though (oil filer cap clean as a whistle). I take this mean I probably need a new head gasket. Is there anything else (Cheaper!)it could possibly be ? Had this happen on a rover 414 and it turned out to be a 30pish washer/gasket buried deep in the engine.

Will try the leak fixer as posted on he 2.4 forum but don't hold out much hope.

Richard
    I didn't do it !

Originally posted by molrams
    Header bottle filled with white greasy stuff which means oil is in the coolant I guess. No evidence of water in the oil though (oil filer cap clean as a whistle). I take this mean I probably need a new head gasket. Is there anything else (Cheaper!)it could possibly be ? Had this happen on a rover 414 and it turned out to be a 30pish washer/gasket buried deep in the engine.

Will try the leak fixer as posted on he 2.4 forum but don't hold out much hope.

Richard
    What about the main cooling system ? Any nasty stuff in the rad or on the rad cap ? May just be a reaction to something in the bottle ?

Rick
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Dirty Bottle

Don't think so. Removed bottle last weekend as it was full and washed it out. Filled to correct level with nice blue fluid but by this weekend it was already going cloudy again. Also where the rubber tubing in the bottle it had swelled up causing it to drop off the lid. Haven't noticed the rad contents to be very oily so i assume the oily stuff floats to the top and gets pushed out first and then cannot get back as the tubes fallen off.

Richard
      I didn't do it !

Comment

Originally posted by molrams
        Also where the rubber tubing in the bottle it had swelled up causing it to drop off the lid.

Richard
        Jotto had this happen on his Surf . I think it is due to a contaminant or reaction to different antfreeze types .

Rick
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
        X