Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuddering when i brake

Hi there,

I have a 1998 3rd gen, and when i brake fairly hard, i get a really bad shuddering which shakes the whole car and makes the dash vibrate.

it also makes the steering wheel judder.

any ideas?

Cheers,

CURLY

check the pads and disc.I would say the disc may be warped more than the pads low but check them out anyway
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

its had new pads put on earlier this year, so i'll pull it apart tomorrow and have a look at the discs.

will i be able to tell if they are warped by looking at them?

Comment

You can tell by the pedal and steering wheel shuddering when you press the brakes!

Otherwise use a dial gauge on the disc and spin it.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I just took my wheel off and the discs spin freely enough and don't catch the pads in one place only, but there looks like a big gorge scratch on the face of the disc radiating outwards? It is really weird. I was wondering if it could be a split or a crack that's had the metal folded over it?

Anyone got and photos of buggered discs that I can look at and see which one looks like mine incase the pic doesn't work?

Cheers,

CURLY

Comment

Seriously, if you get pulsing pedal, shuddering steering wheel or truck in general, when braking, its warped discs, it can be nothing else.

You can rule out the rear drums by pulling handbrake on while driving and it sohuld do it, but its usually the front discs.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
            X