Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN130 FR Crank Oil Seal Part Number Please

Hi all

Still struggling with my oil seal issues (see previous threads).

KZN130 engine

I now have a new crank pulley - exactly the same as the broken one I've removed. RoughTrax have been extremely helpful with this.

I've a new FR Crank Oil Seal from Toyota. They've supplied part number 90311-58006.

This seal doesn't appear that it will fit in the housing, but not by much so it might be persuaded.

However!

I believe the sealing lip of the oil seal is supposed to seal around the inner flange of the crank pulley, as once the pulley is fitted this flange slides right through the seal.

The diameter of the flange on the back of the crank pulley is 50mm. The diameter of the seal 90311-58006 that I've been supplied is ~56mm, so there's no way it's going to seal around the pulley flange, and there's nothing else for it to seal against.

I assume I've been supplied the wrong seal, although I can see this part number referenced on other threads.

So - help please! Does anyone know the correct part number for a FR Crank oil seal on the KZN130 engine please? I really need to get this car back on the road!

Edit for reference

Toyota Seal
    90311-58006
    Outer Dia 72m
    Inner Dia 57mm
    Thickness 7mm

I need
    Outer Dia 68mm
    Inner Dia 50mm
    Width 7mm

(note - the toyota seal dims are probably not precise as the incorrect seal I've got is of course rubber covered so a bit soft. The 68mm outer dia on my car is the housing size - the seal might need to be a little bit bigger as it'll be an interference fit in the housing. The 50mm inner dia is the pulley flange diameter that the seal needs to seal around - not sure how the seal lip would be "sized" to fit this)

Many thanks
    Rich
    Last edited by RichP; 13 June 2010, 12:43.

Just a quick answer for now as I am unsure why you are having a problem. 90311-58006 is the correct seal.

Nev

Comment

90311-58006 is a 58-72-7 seal. 58 for the crankshaft, 72 for the housing and 7 for the seal width. The harmonic balancer is outside the seal so has no bearing on the size.

Nev

Comment

Hi NiftyNev

Thank you for the feedback. I suppose it's encouraging that I've got the correct seal, but I'm now wondering what else I've got wrong.

I've added a couple of pics which may help. One is of the seal held in front of the housing. The diameter of the housing aperture is 68mm - the seal is 72mm so needs to be pressed into this hole?

The diameter of the nose of the crankshaft protruding through the housing is 36mm - but the seal inner diameter is 57mm so I'm not sure what I've got wrong here.

The other pic is of the seal sitting around the flange of the crank pulley, where I thought it had to provide a seal. Again, the seal is 57mm diameter but the pulley is 50mm.

There's clearly something wrong but I'm not clear what. Have I missed something altogether?

(Edit - the car has a manual transmission, but don't know whether that makes any difference to the engine side of things. I've also attached a pic of the broken old pulley, which is the same design as the new one I've got, just for info)

Many thanks
        Rich
        Attached Files
        Last edited by RichP; 13 June 2010, 14:05.

Comment

Originally posted by RichP View Post
          There's clearly something wrong but I'm not clear what. Have I missed something altogether?
          I think I know what the problem is. Your pic shows a couple of semi circular sections at the top left which are where the oil pump is and not the crank. Are you trying to put a crank seal in the oil pump housing hole? The diameter of this is 68mm. Not sure of ID.

Ignore the harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley) when installing the crank seal. As I said before the seal is for the crank and housing. The HB (CP) is outside this.

Nev
          Last edited by NiftyNev; 13 June 2010, 14:13.

Comment

I believe a 90311-50017 seal has dimensions of 50x68x9.

Nev

Comment

Figured I'd be the one to have hashed it up! I'm beginning to feel a bit thick!

So, the great big pulley that I've removed is bolted to the end of the crank, but the seal that I need to fit is the oil pump housing seal?

I ordered the seal based on the manual I've got (Toyota 1KZ-TE Engine Repair Manual). Please could you have a quick look at the attached picture from the book. "Crankshaft FR Oil Seal" behind the "Crankshaf Pulley", "Plain Washer" and bolt.

You can see from the previous pics where I'm trying to fit a new seal (the wrong one it seems) as the old seal was torn apart when the pulley cracked up. Should I order a different seal then? If so, could you give me it's correct name (part number would be perfect).

Sorry if I sound a bit vague. I've not had the car long and it's been off the road for longer than on so I'm losing my sense of humour with it at the moment.

Your help is much appreciated.

Rich
              Attached Files

Comment

Just seen your post while I was scanning / writing - if this is the part I need then thank you very much.

Comment

Nev, that last pic is ok, the 3.0 is very different to the 2.4.

First thoughts are it looks like the seal is wrong to me.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

If the Crank Seal is the 90311-58006 then the size is here on page 16.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&so...ZdpIE4GdHvEGmA

The 90311-50017 size is here.

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...D2nKn02K3Hv8xw

I have little experience with the 3Ltr so just going on diagrams, part numbers and size references such as this.

The diagram below is what I believe is where the seals are so if I got that wrong maybe someone can tell me.

The two seal part numbers given are correct

Nev
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by NiftyNev; 14 June 2010, 02:06.

Comment

Nev, what you've labeled oil pump seal is actually the crankshaft pulley seal, crankshaft seal is actually the fuel pump pulley seal.

FYI, the oil pump is that gear you can see in the back of the timing gear housing.

Hope this clears things up.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                        Nev, what you've labeled oil pump seal is actually the crankshaft pulley seal, crankshaft seal is actually the fuel pump pulley seal.

FYI, the oil pump is that gear you can see in the back of the timing gear housing.

Hope this clears things up.

ok. I guess you know better than I do and after looking more closely at the diagrams, it makes sense. I have also seen where a lot of others refer to the 90311-58006 as the crank seal so that helped confuse me.

Nev

Comment

If you can give me the seal number (from the side of the correct seal, not the Toyota part number) I can get one for you.

Thanks,

Ray.
                          I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Hi all

Thanks for all the inputs here - much appreciated.

So, as far as I can follow, I need the crankshaft pulley seal, which makes sense against what I can see on the car.

The seal I've got (90311-58006) is not the correct seal for this application. I'm not sure what it is actually for, but I'm not too bothered right now.

The seal 90311-50017 does appear to be the correct size given the hole I have to fit it into and the size of the pulley it has to seal against. Is this seal confirmed as being the "crankshaft pulley seal" please?

Thanks
                            Rich

Comment

It seems like the 90311-58006 is the fuel pump seal and the 90311-50017 is the crank seal according to Tony. I would go by what he says.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                              X