Autogearbox and Radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autogearbox and Radiator

Been reading the threads on how to change the transmission oil. Is it best to remove the sump or a sump plate to get most of the oil out and clean any strainer there and does the sump gasket usually need to be a new one and where could I get one from? Dextron 111 for oil but how much will I need. This work will be on a gen 3 what gearbox is used in them, Is there a model number? I have read some alarming posts about landcruisers with the transmission cooler in the rad. Is it common for surf systems to fail by wrecking the box with coolant. I believe with landcruisers this can happen at about 90000miles.

I would always use a new gasket if you drop the gearbox sump and dont try and clean the gearbox oil filter. Better to replace it with any seal that is associated with it. Not sure what parts are available but I just ordered parts from my local Toyota dealer no problems.

Comment

In 4-5 years or more of working on Surfs, I'm only ever replaced 1 autobox, and that was from user error.

Other garages have told customers their gearboxes are knackered, but its usually been something else like ECU or just the odd solonoid.

I'd say thay are very good gearboxes.

Unless you have a problem, just drain the oil and change it, do it a couple of times in close succesion if you're worried, and that'll be fine.

All auto Surfs, and most cars in general have a ATF cooler in the lower rad tank, its how its done.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

"I have read some alarming posts about landcruisers with the transmission cooler in the rad."

There have been reports of the cooler pipe in the rad corroding, so that ATF and coolant mix = killing the autobox.
        but this has usually been when people haven't serviced the coolant on schedule or used the correct coolant.

when i got my land cruiser colorado (which is 90% a 3rd gen surf) i replaced the rad just to be sure.
        Landcruiser Colorado
        Sub. Forester

Comment

In 30 years as a mechanic I have only had that twice. 1 was a Volvo and 1 was a Ford. Not saying it does'nt happen but its rare. I'm sure you won't have that problem now you changed your RAD.

Comment

My mates astra diesel had this happen 6 months ago. Think it's an x reg..

Comment

Working...
            X