Crank Timing, Big job??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank Timing, Big job??

I've got a 1994 3.0L thats seemed to of jumped a few teeth so the valves are hitting the head.

Not worked on any 3.0L before so I was a little confused at first when I saw the Cam belt only went to the Pump. After further investigation on the net I found out that the pump is driven via cogs from the crank. The Cam and Pump line up but not the Crank so I can only assume some teeth have given way on the cogs?

Big Job??
    If at first you don't succeed.........give up.

It's not that hard - download the manual so you can see how it all connects. My timing gears were fitted wrong so I had to swap injector pipes around and remove the idler gear to move all the cogs to line up - they're numbered. The idler gear is sprung and needs putting in a vice to align its 3 separate cogs. The manual shows how.

Buy new seals for the crankshaft and injector pump as the timing cover comes off.

Rob.
    Last edited by wishbone; 15 February 2011, 00:56.

Comment

Some help:
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info thats a great help, is it easy to do with engine in place?

Comment

I had the rad out and front bumper off when I did mine which made it a lot easier.

Rob

edit- think the grill was off too

Comment

And check to make sure your injector pipes are fitted correctly to the back of the injector pump - mine were out by 180 degrees. (My cambelt was 1/2 tooth out aswell - what a mess!)

Comment

Mine looks like it maybe out at least 5 or 6 teeth, probably bent the valves and cracked the valve guides too......oh joy.

Comment

I can't see how the timing gear teeth could possibly jump ? Maybe one of the woodruff keys is missing and the pulley has slipped ?

Did you buy it as a non runner?

Only way to know is to strip it all down.

Comment

Yes I did buy it as a non runner, all the surfs I buy are. But this is the first 3.0L. Well 2nd because I've bought one for myself with an ECU problem.

It's the only thing I can think of because the cam and pump marks line up, so the only other thing that could of moved is the gears from the crank to the pump.

Just going to have to find the time to strip it and see

Comment

Ok 3 of the cogs are in a right mess I've taken a few pics.

God knows what gave way.

Does anyone know how the oil pump cog comes off??

Rich if your looking at this do you have these cogs? And do you have any inlet and exhaust valves? I don't have any 3.0L parts I need to get a breaker in.

I need to start pricing things up.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have some, Rich sold his head to Chillitt. He's probably got the gears you need, but if he hasn't I have a 3.0 short block I can take them off

I don't think you can't get the oil pump gear off, its part of the timing gear case, and it all has to be removed.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Blimey! I take back what I said about the gears....

The manual says just undo the nut and pull it off with a puller...

I was at Lord Lucan's yard last week and he's got a 3.0 block with the timing cover removed. All the gears on if I remember right..

Rob.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                          I have some, Rich sold his head to Chillett. He's probably got the gears you need, but if he hasn't I have a 3.0 short block I can take them off
                          Thanks Tony, I haven't got round to taking the head off yet so I don't how many yet, what sort of money would you be looking at for each valve?

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                            Blimey! I take back what I said about the gears....

The manual says just undo the nut and pull it off with a puller...

I was at Lord Lucan's yard last week and he's got a 3.0 block with the timing cover removed. All the gears on if I remember right..

Rob.
                            Rob the oil pump cog doesn't have a nut on it, thats whats confusing me. It's flush with the shaft. I think the pic you uploaded is the Fuel pump cog mate.

Thanks

Comment

Sorry Tony just noticed what you said about the pump cog..............not as easy as I had hoped for then, if it wasn't worth the effort I would just break it but I feel it still worth me putting a few hours into it.

Comment

Working...
                              X