Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fueling Problem

Hi guys
    got a problem with my surf its a 3.0 2gen.
    got 175k on the clock and i run quite a heavy veg oil mix throughout the year(Yes i know this is mostly likely the cause of the problem).

recently it has been going through alot of fuel filter, 4 since start of december i put this down to the veg thickening and clogging the filter.
    Now however it was lost all its power, takes quite a few turns to start, in drive last nite would rev above 2k and wouldnt go further than 20mph with foot to the floor in drive. evertualy it dies and wont strart, but if i crack the injectors it willl eventualy start and rev slightly better for a very short period of time. at the start of the week i replaced the filter and noticed something still was rite as it would accelrtate above 60-70ish on private land ofcourse.

Basicaly its getting staved of fuel.
    I hav spoken with stormforce who was been very helpful and suggested i drop and flush out the fuel tank, replace the air breather on top of the tank as it always hisses when opening the cap. and clean the gauze filter that just infront of the injector pump. i will be doing this tomorrow however i was just wondering if any1 had any similar problems.

Cheers Andrew

On the fuel pump there is a small gauze filter behind the fuel temp sensor.

Its on the side of the pump, towards the back.

Ive had to clean ours out 3 or 4 times. I've also had to blow an airline down the fuel line from filterhead to tank, to clear the pickup tube filter in the tank.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

cheers for the reply tony. i droped the tank today and was fully of rubbish, i also blew threw the fuel lines so hopefully that was the problem.

i have ordered a manual for it on cd from ebay. however would it be posible to post a diagram/picture of where the gauze/filter is on the injector pump, i had a look today but could see anything

cheers andrew

Comment

WVO blues...

I'm having very similar issues running on WVO although it's filtered right down to 1 micron (but I dont bother checking its acidity level). My mix is probably almost all WVO as it ran OK but I do splash some diesel in from time to time (when I'm financially bouyant).
        My Surf went through the same running probs when the tank was getting down to quarter full, eventually it being unable to rev over 1000rpm. The Surf always drove fine until the fuel level got to roughly a quarter tank!
        I've changed the fuel filter and ran on a couple of tank fulls of diesel with cleaner additive which has brought it back to running OK with revs/driving but tick over is very "surgy". It doesn't drop revs, just blips the revs without touching the throttle, which makes slow manouevring tricky as the Surf lurches when you don't want it to.
        I will have a go at the tank breather pipe as this sounds like I'm getting a tank vacuum (and I awlays get the hiss when opening the filler cap).
        Any other advice? which is the quickest way to get to the breather?
        On another note, does WVO sit on top of diesel fuel or sink to the bottom?...just trying to work out whats going on in the tank!
        Cheers
        Mike

Comment

Working...
        X