Intermitant Speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermitant Speedo

The problem just started before Christmas, its dead one minute then springs to life, at town speeds it is back and forth like mad, on the Motorway tonight it worked on the outward journey but no life on the return, The odometers is also not registering when the speedo goes dead so I would imagine its the drive? Luckily I have camera detector with a good speedo built it but would like to sort it out ASAP. Any advice gratefully recieved.
    Phil (South Wales)

My 2.4 started doing that - a couple of thumps on the top of the dash sorted it for me - it hasn't done it since and that was about 8 months ago.

Comment

are you talking about a surf?

your blurb needs updated.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

yes its a 3ltr Surf....had it for nearly 6 years now....
        Will try the thump next time im out in it but think its a bit more than that.
        Cheers
        Phil

Comment

Mine is doing it too. The thump on the dash works but it is still starting to tick me off. I am going to take the dash apart and clean and lube the contacts from the plugs. I hope this works as my wife gets more upset with me everytime I thump the dash.

Darryl
          Ontario Canada
          1993 Hilux Surf KZN130

Comment

I have a set of 3.0l clocks if anyone needs them.I might even have 2 sets here
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hit the dash...many times ....still the same. In Fact its not working much at all now... Could it be a conection or the drive of the gear box??

Comment

Originally posted by Bracpan View Post
                Hit the dash...many times ....still the same. In Fact its not working much at all now... Could it be a conection or the drive of the gear box??
                It's not gear driven, it's electronic.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Whats the best place to start? the speedo connections? or gearbox end?
                  Cheers
                  Phil

Comment

I reacon the speed sensor on the back of the trans box.
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

If you can get your speedo to work by thumping your dash your problem is likely the connections on the back of the dial... unless you are pounding on your dash hard enough to jar the connections on the transmission...

I am going to start with the dash as a couple of taps on the dial brings it back to life. Hopefully the weather is nicer this weekend when I have time to get in there.

Darryl
                      Ontario Canada
                      1993 Hilux Surf KZN130

Comment

Hitting my dash does nothing at all so it must be the other end....think ill wait until weather is a bit better..
                        Phil

Comment

Working...
                        X