Rear bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear bearings

I have looked though the other threads and it seems rear bearings on a 3rd gen are a little fiddly.

anyone on here nr Farnham, Surrey fancy some new year cash to do mine as I suspect the rear right has just gone as I am getting a loud quickly worsening clonk from the rear right....in lest than 5 local miles it has gone from a small clatter into big clicks!
    Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

TonyN is in Basingstoke and is the resident surf doctor.Leave a message here for him or his contact details can be found on his website www.4x4toys.co.uk I think your better ringing his mobile as he's had probs with the landline
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

It got wet having no roof and now phone dosn't work at all.

Mobile or internet only ATM, lol.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I did the rear bearings on mine 2 months ago. It wasnt too bad. The hardest part was getting the retainer ring off. I used a dremel with a cutting disk and just put a groove in it then hit it with a hammer and chisel. When replacing the retainer ring you need to heat it up and it will just drop on. Dont forget to drain the diff before you start!!

Now perhaps someone can help me... I'm only getting about 17 to 19 MPG from my 3.0 2 gen. I see most other people are getting much more even when towing etc. Has anyone any ideas what I can do to improve my MPG?

Vehicle has 128k klms on clock and had regular oil changes since I got it 6 years ago. No problems with anything engine wise, all filters kept clean and I drive it very gently. Any ideas anyone?

Comment

Well I have PM-ed Tony but no answer so I guess he is just busy over the festive period, no other offers to help for a bit of cash so I guess I will be going down to ask at the local garage tomorrow and see how much they will rip me off for?

Comment

Wierd!!!

OK now confused, jacked up rear axle spun wheels no noises, took off wheels and didn't find anything apart from a slightly sticky drum, even run in 2wd up to 3k revs and no grinding noises, no play in it either?
            did the same to front but obviously cannot "run" it.
            Took it for a drive, in 2 and 4wd and hey presto no noise till after about 3 miles then it came back but not as bad as before! pulling the H-Brake slowly makes no difference to noise did this to check brake components.

So now flummoxed!

any ideas??

Comment

bring it up after new year, we'll have a poke around
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                bring it up after new year, we'll have a poke around
                Cheers Tony will be in touch at the week-end to find when it's convenient for you.

Comment

Changing the subject

Well off to Tony's in the morning to get looked at...

Changing the subject, we have been really impressed with the missus little x-trail in the snow and ice, it's way behind the surf but keeps going where you point it with it's 4wd system, I nearly lost the big patrol today one of the drawbacks of only having selectable 4wd system!

Much prefer the Surf just leave it in 4x4 mode all day and no issues!!

Comment

Well both rear bearings are knacked so no surfing until I get them done next week (hopefully...) On the upside I have found another mecanic who seens fairly good

Comment

Best way to find which one it is is to jack up the back wheels and run it in gear. Make sure its not in 4 wheel drive though!!

You should be able to hear the wheel bearing then.

Comment

Did thaqt and they seemed ok, TonyN showed me how you have to dismantle to see it failing, hopefully he will put the pics up soon to show JUST what was wrong....

Comment

Working...
                        X