Starter motor replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter motor replacement

I'm trying to remove my starter motor and for the past hour I've been groping around with numb fingers trying to find where the damned thing is attached. From reading other posts I know I'm looking for x2 17mm nuts/bolts but where the hell are they? I know it may be difficult to describe in writing where they are but if anyone could help by pointing me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I'm assuming they're at the "dipstick end" of the motor...

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26016

Just found the above, I'll go and have another look. Trouble is I don't want to have to take the wheel off, I only have little axle stands and I don't know if they'd reach plus I don't know if they'd be strong enough for the truck anyway.

oh well, sitting here isn't getting the job done is it?

I've refueled on coffee now, so back to it...

Comment

im not sure if the 3L is the same as my 2.4L but reading the link you posted it sounds pretty similar. the top nut can be found if you put your hand down the back of the head of the engine were the EGR is. i found it easier to drop a ring spanner down there and use a bit of pipe on it for leverage. the other is about 4 o'clock if you imagine the top bolt at 12 o'clock and your viewing from the front of the truck.

Comment

Cheers, I've just come back in to see if anyone had replied. I've found the bottom one and the bulb on my torch has just gone looking for the top one - you couldn't make this stuff up!

Right thanks I'll go and look again.

Comment

HEHEH I hope you managed,what a horrible job.Without a pit or ramp I wouldnt advise anyone attempt remove it cos of how awkward the top bolt is to get at.Its bad enough manovering it up once its unbolted!Goes back on in half the time though

Comment

He has fitted it all ready.Without a body lift it is more awkward to get the top bolt out.You dont have to have a pit or ramp to remove it as it is easier from the top and wheel arch
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Yes thats correct,throo the chassis gap is the only way to access the top nut even on a ramp or pit.

Comment

its even better if you haven't got all the egr stuff fitted aswell as it gives a bit of extra room
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Happy New Year Surfers.

Well the starter is better BUT I'm still getting the odd "click click click" moment. No idea why. I did a charge of the batteries prior to changing the motor so I was thinking are these "click click click" moments due to a battery losing some charge....

OR is it just the cold weather?

It hasn't let me down, but first thing on a morning is when it is most likely to happen - but NOT ALWAYS.

I'm a bit baffled.

Comment

The motor was refurbed or a tested replacement used part?Are you sure the cables are making good contact on the motor?Could be somthing to check.

Comment

It was a 2nd hand part off Stormforce who assured me it was ok and I've no reason to doubt it to be honest. Would be pretty bad luck if it was the starter again put it that way.
                      I'll check the connections but when connecting them they seem to be either fully connected or not all if you know what I mean, but I shall have another look.

Comment

Originally posted by iggypop View Post
                        Happy New Year Surfers.

Well the starter is better BUT I'm still getting the odd "click click click" moment. No idea why. I did a charge of the batteries prior to changing the motor so I was thinking are these "click click click" moments due to a battery losing some charge....

OR is it just the cold weather?

It hasn't let me down, but first thing on a morning is when it is most likely to happen - but NOT ALWAYS.

I'm a bit baffled.
                        if its clicking, inside the truck it could be the switch at the gear selector. Next time it does it keep the key turned to the start position and put the truck in nutral, if it starts then its not the starter. Mine was doing this i stripped it down and cleaned it all. it has been ok since then.
                        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Cheers, I'll try that next time. It hasn't done it since I last posted (ssshhhh).

If that's what the problem was all along then I'll kick myself, however to be fair it does seem to turn better than the old one - no worries Richard!

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
                            if its clicking, inside the truck it could be the switch at the gear selector. Next time it does it keep the key turned to the start position and put the truck in nutral, if it starts then its not the starter. Mine was doing this i stripped it down and cleaned it all. it has been ok since then.

Holy Cr*p! It's starting doing it again, thanks Charvell, I'd have been stuck without your top tip.

I'm going to start a new thread about this now.

Comment

Working...
                            X