Chasis flexing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chasis flexing?

Can anyone help me? Yesterday my 4runner went for a Pre-Mot, with the tester in the pit underneath the 4runner and his apprentice with a steel bar under the drivers side front wheel wiggling it up and down to test for play in steering joints and the like, the tester was shocked that the Chasis was flexing?
    I think the Torsion Bars have been wound up as the front is slightly higher than the rear.
    So, My question is, Does winding up the Torsion Bars Stiffen the Suspension? and, Does a Chasis flex a few milimetres anyway?

A chassis will flex a small amount - that's why it is isolated from the body via rubber bushes. However, I would have thought that if it is flexing enough to see with input from a lad with a bar then you ought to be able to see the cracks! Does the tester have a drink problem?
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

He gave the Chasis a good check for cracks, holes and any weak spots but could find nothing, so said he would just put it down as an advisory on the mot.
      He maybe was out on the beer the night before lol
      To me it just looked like the body moving on its mounts but you cant argue with a mot tester can you?

Comment

How the hell can you make the chassis flex with a bar under a wheel? Must be a big bar and a big guy or as stated the chassis is falling apart.

Nev

Comment

I couldn't see the Chasis flexing, all I seen moveing was the body, as it is rubber mounted, that's expected. The Chasis is a bit flakey but that is going to be cleaned up and Waxoiled. The guy was hitting it with a hammer and couldn't make any holes , I just wonder if he was winding me up as I asked him "Please use a smaller hammer" I just can't wait to get it mot'd

Comment

The front is higher than the rear because your rear springs are sagging.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

would the front not be higher than the rear if it was wound up? I'm 5'8" and have to either jump in or use the step to get in comfortably, think i'll have to be ordering meself some rear springs

Comment

Take it elsewhere. The guy is obviously a complete cock if he thinks body movement = chassis flex!
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  Take it elsewhere. The guy is obviously a complete cock if he thinks body movement = chassis flex!
                  I agree the guy IS a complete cock!

the only thing you are allowed to use to hit anypart of the vehicle is the corrosion assessment tool. Basically a small plastic hammer!

if his hammering has removed any underseal or made any marks in the chassis report him to VOSA
                  Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

It was definately a metal hammer he used, I seen it and will be inspecting the Chasis for dints, cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X