Expensive sounding noise from the rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expensive sounding noise from the rear

Help! I have a noise coming from the rear nearside (KZ130 3L auto, 1994) which occurs once per wheel revolution; its a combination of whump-whump and mechanical graunching. Whatever it is can also be felt through the brake pedal. I've had both rear wheels & drums off; there's no sign of any cause, the bearings feel tight, the wheels turn freely & I can't feel any obvious diff gear damage by turning the wheels. I've also run the vehicle on jacks, when there's no sign of any noise similar to that heard when driving. The noise started 6 months ago & has been getting steadily worse to the point that something's going to go bang soon. Any suggestions on what it might be, or any tests that could help pinpoint the problem, or holes to peer into for clues?
    My local garage has had the vehicle & can't find the problem. Any suggestions greatly appreciated; the most obvious cause would seem to be the differential, but then why does the noise appear to come from the nearside? I'm reluctant to start tearing it apart without being sure.

Thanks
    Peter Hardcastle

A wheel bearing will be noisy all the time, a steady(ish) noise. Diff bearings tend to sing more, noisier under load, no noise on the overrun. UJs will be noisier or clunkier on load, but they tend to be more of a vibration. A knackered crownwheel will be crunchy, but I doubt it's that.

What's the diff oil like?

Before you start tearing things apart though, do stuff like swapping your brake drums and wheels over, see if the noise swaps sides.

As for the noise coming from the nearside, possibly because it's nearest to you (assuming you have a LHD)?
    Last edited by Albannach; 6 October 2009, 11:58.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Tyre Damage?
      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

thanks for the suggestion

Tyre damage: thanks for the reply; I thought the same & changed the tyre (to the spare) but to no effect.
        Peter
        Last edited by peterthegrate; 6 October 2009, 18:28.

Comment

wheel & drum swop

I've tried changing the wheel, but not the brake drum - thanks for the suggestion, will give it a try. It's RHD - originally UK import from Japan.

Peter

Comment

Working...
          X