Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging a power pack through lighter socket

Hi guys

i recently bought the ring powerpack 135 and noticed when i connect the cig socket in powerpack to cig socket in car this powers up my whole car ie radio, lights etc...

my question being.....is this perfectly fine? also if this is supplying power through the cig socket in car does this unit know how to charge itself rather than supplying power to the car. im a little confused on how this setup works 2 ways, if someone can explain im all ears!

can you tell me if this will fry any fuses or do damage etc... with me plugging this in when the car is on/off?

regards me

Powerpack for what? Link?

Power doesn't have to come from the batteries, btw, so it's perfectly normal. The current rating of the cable/fuse for the cig lighter determines how much it can cope with, as obviously it's only intended to serve one purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
      Powerpack for what? Link?

Power doesn't have to come from the batteries, btw, so it's perfectly normal. The current rating of the cable/fuse for the cig lighter determines how much it can cope with, as obviously it's only intended to serve one purpose.
      http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product...rpack_135.html

This is it.
      Neal

Comment

Yes it is to be expected. When you switch your ignition on, it supplies power to several circuits: wipers, indicators, cig lighter etc (anything that only works with the ignition on). So when you connect your battery pack to the cig lighter and the ignition is off, it will effectivly "back feed" to the fusebox and power up all of those circuits. The fuse for the cig lighter should prevent any damage.

When you plug the battery pack in with the engine running, the voltage of the car battery is greater than the battery pack and so will charge it.

Comment

thanks streetsurfer

Comment

Originally posted by Streetsurfer View Post

When you plug the battery pack in with the engine running, the voltage of the car battery is greater than the battery pack and so will charge it.
            my car is 12V what voltage is the battery pack then?
            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

More pedantry

I assume he means the 14.4v from the alternator...
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

what happens when the voltage equalises then?
                私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
                  what happens when the voltage equalises then?
                  Seriously?

Comment

Erm... if the engine is running, the volts on the battery will always be 14.4v give or take half a volt. Thought you were a sparky?
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                    X