Oil cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil cooler

Anyone fitted one to a 3.0 2nd gen? Is there a sandwich plate available for the oil filter fitting or is there some other way of installing a cooler?

Noticed my oil getting a bit thin (pressure low) during some of the long climbs in the heat so looking to guard against it next time.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Originally posted by Apache View Post
    Is there a sandwich plate available for the oil filter fitting
    Same filter as the 2.4s and no sandwich plate available that I have ever found. The Surf filter has a 24mm thread and no adapters have this.

Nev

Comment

http://www.hortonwebdesign.com/clien...l-filters.html

Not exactly what you are looking for, but close

Comment

Thats true. If there's one available for the Surf, one could cut the pipe and fit a cooler inline with the filter...

Comment

Thats true. If there's one available for the Surf, one could cut the pipe and fit a cooler inline with the filter...
          That would work. The problem with all remote mounts that I have found is the size of the base. To fit the Surf they need to be approx 87mm OD and with about a 10 - 12mm flange for the seal. All that I have seen have a much smaller OD to suit common single stage filters.

Nev

Comment

If you used a sandwich type would the flange that catches the oil around the filter not get in the way ?
            There is a firm in gloucester who do off road one offs mainly inter coolers but they do mention oil coolers, think they are called Allisport.
            Maybe they could run one off for you then run off some more to sell using your truck as a template......?
            Remember arrows are silent.....................
            Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Comment

Originally posted by Paul1566 View Post
              If you used a sandwich type would the flange that catches the oil around the filter not get in the way ?
              Not if it was designed to go on the Surf it wouldn't. It would be possible to make a home brew jobbie for the Surf to do a remote relocation. One of the LR chaps once explained what they used to do with one of the Landy's which had a problem with the filters and the suspension colliding. They basically used an (aluminium or steel) block and created a plate for feeding a remote filter from that.

Comment

Sounds like something 'stein's buddy could possibly undertake.

Comment

Sounds like something 'stein's buddy could possibly undertake.
                  Probably not something they'd take on though. I seem to recall they spent ages with stuff left over from the last bespoke production run they did. (The spring cups)? I doubt they'd put themselves in that position again.

A lathe and a pillar drill would be enough to sort the adaptor, if anyone has those?

Comment

I have both

Wonder what the thread is?

Re. The spring locators, I have some and they finish off an LC spring install *properly*. No more questions from the MOT man about the rear springs not fitting properly

Comment

I have both

Wonder what the thread is?
                      Nev said it was 24mm, did he not? Thread pitch, I assume they'll have gone for the 1.25 or 1.5 like they normally do everything else. Nev will know the exact answer to that one.

You want to have a go at knocking one up. Do a grooved area to match up to where that ring of holes are in the bottom of the filter and then pop a hole through into that groove and tap it for a fitting. Then just use whatever method seems best for pulling a hose connection from the centre fitting. Might be best to do that within the adaptor block or just with a separate hose union fitted directly onto the spigot.

Re. The spring locators, I have some and they finish off an LC spring install *properly*. No more questions from the MOT man about the rear springs not fitting properly
                      They are a nice piece of kit from what I hear. I'm sure it was those though where only half, (or so), the people who supposedly wanted them actually bought them once they were made. I may be getting mixed up with something else though.
                      Last edited by MattF; 28 August 2009, 19:55.

Comment

If you want to make one, which is not that simple really, then look for pics of them on the net for how they are designed. You will have to make a remote type for the 2.4 because of the very limited space between filter and steering shaft. Then there's the mounting position to be worked out as well. I doubt a sandwich type will fit taking into account the thickness needed to make one. The Surf filter and spigot are 24 X 1.5.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                          If you want to make one, which is not that simple really, then look for pics of them on the net for how they are designed. You will have to make a remote type for the 2.4 because of the very limited space between filter and steering shaft. Then there's the mounting position to be worked out as well. I doubt a sandwich type will fit taking into account the thickness needed to make one. The Surf filter and spigot are 24 X 1.5.
                          The notion I had in my head was pretty much as you suggest. To make a block to feed to a remote filter assembly and blank the existing filter mount off. Cut the groove ring into the face which meets upto the oil cooler for the filtered supply into the engine with a side exiting tapped hole in the adaptor block which penetrates through to that grooved area, and then the spigot part would have a feed off from the top off the adaptor block. The adaptor block would then just spin onto the spigot and give you the inlet/outlet. Does that makes sense? It's a lot harder to describe an idea than it is to envisage it.

Btw Nev, just whilst on this subject, is the oil cooler the same, (with regards to the relief valves and that third blanked off port), between the LN130 and the LN61? Going to get that test bypass filter setup on the go hopefully, but thought I'd try it on the 1st gen rather than the 2nd gen. It depends upon the cooler though.

Edit: That adaptor block would also need a second groove to seat the o-ring in. The o-ring could easily be taken off of an old/new filter.
                          Last edited by MattF; 29 August 2009, 00:38.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                            Btw Nev, just whilst on this subject, is the oil cooler the same, (with regards to the relief valves and that third blanked off port), between the LN130 and the LN61?
                            Different part but should be the same operation for both.

Nev

Comment

Cheers Nev.

Comment

Working...
                              X