Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN 185 Rattle then Cloud of Smoke

I was testing driving a Surf today, 1996 KZN185 3.0D SSR-X 93000kms

Only problem I had during my test drive was a sound like extreme pinking in the engine, followed by a large cloud of blue smoke, Was really strange, I spoke to a mechanic who reckoned it could have been a bit of crap in the fuel or from the air-filter that temporariliy blocked an injector, then got shot out the back, I have driven the car for the rest of the day and it didnt happen again and the car drives really nicely.

Has anyone else come accross this before?. Or have any idea what it could have been?.

Cheers
    Clive

Personally if you are test driving the car with a view to buying it i wouldn`t buy it, it might be something simple and then again it might be some more serious. You might be better off holding onto your cash and looking for another that you cant find any faults with.
    Cheers

Mart 870

Racing for Thomas

Comment

I know this was my gut reaction as well, But this particular Surf has a Rear LSD , and Im buying it to go off-roading, I have been looking for a while and this was the first i have seen with a LSD in the back..

Oh what to do., Guess I could get an extended warranty..

Comment

Originally posted by clivebennett
        I know this was my gut reaction as well, But this particular Surf has a Rear LSD , and Im buying it to go off-roading, I have been looking for a while and this was the first i have seen with a LSD in the back..

Oh what to do., Guess I could get an extended warranty..
        If your serious about your offroading, you might be better budgeting to fit a locking rear diff, rather than relying on an LSD. By all reports, they seldom survive much beyond about 50,000Kms even with proper maintenance, so the one your are looking at may not be in the best shape, LSD wise, or may need repacement anyway after a bit of hard use offroading.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

blue smoke = oil = avoid

save your cash
          [FONT=Trebuchet MS][B][SIZE=2]1993 SSR-X 2.4TD[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
          X