Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blown turbo?

hey guys.. would like your thoughts on a problem with my kzn185 gen3

its blowing a HUGE grey cloud of smoke when starting up... when driving its runs fine but when coming to a set of traffic lights its blowns smoke

If the car is in Park and I rev the accelerator to 5k the is a HUGE BLACK cloud of smoke.

I have taken off the cross over pipe that runs from the turbo to the throttle body and started the car.. there is was smoke coming from the turbo.. aslo there is a fair bit of oil there aswell..

The air filer is fine

I have just done a oil change with 10/40 oil

What do you guys think.. we are currently in austria on our way to russia....

Any advice would be great!!!!!!!!

Thanks Justin

Turbo smoke

Hi mate I have just had a similar problem. At traffic lights on tickover there would be a dense cloud of blue smoke, bring the revs up to just over the thousand mark and blue smoke is gone.Turned out to be turbo seal.

I changed the turbo for a s/h one I had and problem gone. Heavy black smoke sounds like overfueling or egr valve/pipe getting clogged ? Bad fuel ? Sticky injector ?

Comment

cheers for the reply... how log does it take to change the turbo?

And also removing the injectors to be serviced???

Any advice on how to do it would be great

Comment

you should be able to change the turbo in 4 hours.Give all the nuts/bolts a good lube the night before.Its a bit trivky to get at some of the nuts/bolts like the banjo union on the oil pipe from the bottom of the turbo to the back of the block.
        I would order up from Toyota new gaskets aswell for the turbo as you don't want to be left with no truck for a few days waiting for new gaskets.You will need to be very careful with the alloy convoluted pipe on the bottom of the turbo that goes to the back of the block as this can split very easily.You can bend it a bit but just be careful.I think i paid £26 for a new one from Toyota.
        I have a good 3.0l turbo here for sale £110 delivered.
        IF you want to know how to get the turbo off let me know and i'll put up how i did mine
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I got exactly the same problem but i got no black smoke while running... black and white smoke only on ignition. No smoke on daily driving... but continuous white/blue smoke after a very long distance as 60 miles uphills.... Turn it off, let it cool overnight, n nomore white/blue smoke watsoever except startup.... Im tracking this topic..... Thanks for the info and appreciate it....

Comment

Working...
          X