front diff output shaft bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front diff output shaft bearings

I've been investigating a rattle over bumps and found that the drivers side output flange from the front diff has a fair amount of play, so looks like bearing has gone, does anyone know what these are like to change? from a quick call to milners and roughtrax it looks like a dealer part only too.

these always seem to have a fair bit of movement, even on a brand new truck (do searches)
    so i would check for other things like the bronze bushes in the hub before stripping the diff
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

If it isn't leaking oil, leave it. They do have a fair amoumt of play, which is normal.

Nev

Comment

thanks fella's, I'll keep checking then and check wheel bearings again (only had hubs off 6 weeks ago) front diff is dry no leaks whatsoever and that side output flange has about 2-3mm of play. Can't really hear the rattle until you drive with window open. thats the great thing about forums like these, the vast knowledge of experience owners.

Comment

I just fixed the same thing. 3 of the 4 bump stops were loose. 5 min with a socket and no more rattles!!!

Darryl
          Ontario Canada
          1993 Hilux Surf KZN130

Comment

Originally posted by dgomes View Post
            I just fixed the same thing. 3 of the 4 bump stops were loose. 5 min with a socket and no more rattles!!!

Darryl

Bingo, 2 out of 4 are loose, only problem is that nuts are seized but i'll get onto it, thanks bud

Comment

No Problem... Now that you know its not bearings or some critical part, you can start soaking the nuts with penetrant. Get to it after a week or two of soaking..

Ontario Canada
              1993 Hilux Surf KZN130

Comment

Working...
              X