Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc brakes

Hi guys,

I have just changed the front pads on my 3.0Lt 1996 surf and noticed that on one side the disc was loose when i removed the old pads while on the other side it was solid. Are the discs meant to be loose and just retained by the wheel studs and then held firmly when the wheel is back on and done up tight , or should the discs be secured by a seperate locking mechanism ie , retaining screws / bolts etc. Appreciate any help that you can throw my way.

Paul

If you mean the whole disc/hub assembly is loose, then the wheel bearing nut needs 'nipping up' and/ packing with grease.

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/wh...ringsfront.htm

The brake disc is bolted to the hub from behind, so you'll need to follow the above write-up if you need to tighten them.
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 4 June 2009, 14:24.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      If you mean the whole disc/hub assembly is loose, then the wheel bearing nut needs 'nipping up' and/ packing with grease.

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/wh...ringsfront.htm
      No , it is just the disc itself.

Paul

Comment

See edited post above.

Comment

slugger

mine have little grub screws that hold the disk onto the hub but, when I changed mine, the passenger side one was missing and once the wheel was off, the disc was loose.

It had been like that for at least 4 years (time I owned it before I decided to change the discs) just held on by the wheel & studs with no probs.

hope this helps

ta

hawaii
          I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaii View Post
            slugger

mine have little grub screws that hold the disk onto the hub but, when I changed mine, the passenger side one was missing and once the wheel was off, the disc was loose.

It had been like that for at least 4 years (time I owned it before I decided to change the discs) just held on by the wheel & studs with no probs.

hope this helps

ta

hawaii
            Thank you both , Bushwhacker and Hawaii , i will go and check both these out.

Paul.

Comment

2nd generation 2.4 and 3Ltr discs are bolted from inside the hub and require hub (which includes bearings) removal to replace or fix.

Nev

Comment

Working...
              X